Weird No Start Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have the 7.4 and my truck recently started to develop a weird starting issue. When it sits for longer than 10 minutes it won't start. I'll put the key in the ignition and rotate it to crank and it just gives one single click.

I replaced the starter because it sounded weak and it did not fix the issue, although it cranks up way faster now. See the interesting thing about this is I can take a wrench and put it to the main terminals on the starter and the truck starts like a charm. I'm just bypassing something and I'm not sure what I could be. Any ideas? I have a knock sensor code that I had been ignoring. Could this be it?

I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reaplce starter solenoid?

That is part of the starter.

What you need to do is disconnect the solenoid wire and see if you are getting 12+ volts when somebody rotates the ignition switch to the crank position. Also check to see if you have 12+ at the starter end of the battery cable.