Weird brake problem when turning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
92 Chevy K2500, 4x4, floor shift transfer case, 350 with manual transmission, 33 inch tires on 6 inch pro comp lift, and I beleave stock gearing. I got the truck earlier this year and since I'v been in Texas the whole truck is falling apart.

I put this in the Axles + Brakes section because I think that this is the appropriate thread for the new problem at hand.

To start out just letting you know my power steering is taking a crap and decides when it wants to work or not. It wines a little and wont turn with any power assist when the clutch pushed down. One of the P/S lines on the gear box was loose and it had no fluid of any kind on, near, or around it. So I tightened it back up and checked to see if the reservoir was full and it is full so I'm stumped on this part. Maybe the pump is clogged? or the gear box is clogged?

Now when I am going forward or backwards I turn the wheels to the left or right and when I get close to full lock the truck has some resistance and if I let off the gas the truck stops like the brakes are on.

I also noticed that I might have a bad wheel bearing. Once in a while I will hear some grinding and I jerk the wheel one way or another and it stops. I am trying to get a hold of a jack to check things out on this part.

And when I put the truck near full lock it looks like one wheel is turned noticeably more than the other and turning left or right in reverse i leave a tire mark on the road from the outside tire. (with the steering at full lock to the right (wheels turned to the passenger side) in reverse the driver tire leaves a mark, and with the steering at full lock to the left(wheels turned to the driver side) in reverse the passenger tire leaves a mark.

Side note i have noticed that my brake pedal has to be pushed farther down before the brakes engage. This has been progressing over the past few months. There is no fluid around any of the brake lines. Any thoughts.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Do you have hydra boost? I know in that the power steering and brakes are linked through the pump. Maybe replace the pump?

Sent from my vortec powered iPhone

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You must have hydroboost. Sounds like the pump is junk.

It also sounds like the whole truck is in dire need of an alignment. You're hearing that tire squeel when turning because the outside tire is trying to turn over the inside tire.

The brake squeek could be because of a wheel bearing, but it could also be because the caliper is sticking, which could be a result of your pump problem.

~Via Mobile

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone has some thought of what the brake problem could be I would like to hear. I did forget to mention in the first post that the truck is vacuum boost.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, when you turn the wheels full lock, one is turned more than the other. Rest assured, this is normal: See "Ackerman" steering.

Best description and pictures " Race Car Vehicle Dynamics " ( Milliken & Milliken ) chapter 19.

You may have a myriad of other issues, from bad wheel bearings to wheel / tire clearance issues ie: rubbing at full lock. Grinding may be from bad wheel bearing units.

The power steering pump could be on it's way out, getting worn. Also, there have been a lot of broken pump shafts. My truck was like this when I bought it.

To diagnose a broken shaft, remove belt tension and slip belt off alternator. Grab the power steering pump pulley and pull forward. If it comes out in your hands, you have a broken shaft.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok well I'm an idiot. I never asked my wife what she did before the truck started acting up......... it was in 4 HI. lol well problem solved. And i did find out that all 4 ball joints are bad.