Brake problems, f*** EU regulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey yall

So i live in Norway and every 2 years our cars need to be checked. And this time they complained about my brake going to low to the floor.

It is not going all the way and i dont know why they are complaining because i can lock the brakes on the road if i want to.(ABS kicks in).

Any how I have now bled the brakes like 20 times and the ABS... the only thing that im a bit worried about is the one bleeding valve on the abs is a bit "wierd" compared to the other one.(bottom withe the numbers on the abs)
You must be registered for see images attach

Any tips? Something that does not require a complete rebuild...

Any help would be appreciated, have a good day.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Hey yall

So i live in Norway and every 2 years our cars need to be checked. And this time they complained about my brake going to low to the floor.

It is not going all the way and i dont know why they are complaining because i can lock the brakes on the road if i want to.(ABS kicks in).

Any how I have now bled the brakes like 20 times and the ABS... the only thing that im a bit worried about is the one bleeding valve on the abs is a bit "wierd" compared to the other one.(bottom withe the numbers on the abs)

Any tips? Something that does not require a complete rebuild...

Any help would be appreciated, have a good day.
How about a year make and model so we can help.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brakes function well, can perform full performance stop ABS activation. But pedal has long travel. Easiest to first check , long pedal travel can be a symptom of rear brake shoes having to move outward , long travel before effective braking. Manually adjust the star wheel at bottom to bring the static position closer to drum , then shoes have less travel before contacting drum , less brake pedal travel.
You sure about a hard pedal, just long travel. Which by feel, ( foot ) not bouncing like air in system. Try adjusting the rear drums, so so wheel cylinders use less fluid, before contacting drums, equals less pedal travel. Simple first fix. Before diving deeper. :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into Axles + Brakes.

1996 k1500 gmc suburban
EBS310 model ABS, unless export vehicles were different than production for the USA/Canada.

Those are NOT bleeders; and they're NOT for the ABS. They're part of the combination valve, which is bolted to the ABS. One of them is the stem of the holdoff/metering valve. I've seen youtube videos where guys get air/fluid out of them. That did NOTHING on my '97 K2500. No air, no fluid...total waste of effort.

The O-N-L-Y way to bleed the ABS properly is with a scan tool. See attachment for procedure. A distant second-best is to flush the brake fluid, drive the vehicle on ice or gravel and lock ALL FOUR WHEELS, then immediately bleed the brakes again before the air re-enters the ABS unit.

Adjusting the drums really. I feel like everybody use to modern brakes and are not use to the old braking systems. There may be nothing wrong with yours especially if he didn't bother to give a minimum measurement.
Low pedal is epidemic with the horrible 254mm leading/trailing shoe rear drums.

Add-in lack of ABS bleeding, and the GMT400 has a long, sad history of having crappy brake pedal. If not for the first reason, then for the second.

long pedal travel can be a symptom of rear brake shoes having to move outward , long travel before effective braking. Manually adjust the star wheel at bottom to bring the static position closer to drum , then shoes have less travel before contacting drum , less brake pedal travel.
Exactly right except the star wheel is not likely to be at the bottom. "At the bottom" would be true for Duo-Servo rear brakes, but if this has the horseshit Leading/Trailing shoe brakes, the star wheel is just under the wheel cylinder, above the axle shaft.

The secondary issue is park brake cables seized from non-use; and using the park brake regularly is key to keeping the crappy leading-trailing shoe brakes adjusted.

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changed brake fluid and Vaccuum bled our truck, but I were lazy and only did the fronts. Also its a Rear ABS only vehicle, so different from yours.

However brakes are better than ever, with firm pedal that engages early.

Maybe start with a fluid swap, its plausible that Vac bleeding works without scantool, IDK.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Changed brake fluid and Vaccuum bled our truck, but I were lazy and only did the fronts. Also its a Rear ABS only vehicle, so different from yours.

However brakes are better than ever, with firm pedal that engages early.

Maybe start with a fluid swap, its plausible that Vac bleeding works without scantool, IDK.
Can you post a pic of your ABS unit?What is your Brake RPO? And where was you truck assembled originally? In the states '96 GMC K 1500 suburbans have Kelsey-Hayes 4 wheel ABS.