Weight in the bed for winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First winter owning the truck 98 K1500 5.7 and seeing if there is a common weight that people put in the bed of the truck to help with traction? as I will probably only have it in 4wd once there is some snow on the ground.

As just with rain the roads around me tends to get pretty slick and loose traction pretty easily.

I was thinking a couple cinder blocks I have laying around would probably do the trick

thanks in advance for any info

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get old cement bags from tsc or orschelns that have gotten wet and are solid. Can get em for a dollar a piece, usually get 6 or 7 80lb bags. But mines a 2wd with highwayish tires.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
I like 3-400#s minimum. One year it was wet sand bags, another year it was wet firewood, a couple of years I set a rear tire & wheel for an 8N in the bed of a K2500HD that was partially loaded with calcium. I could go dang near anywhere in 2WD with that setup. Skinny tires and 3-400#s (+), works good.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I get old cement bags from tsc or orschelns that have gotten wet and are solid. Can get em for a dollar a piece, usually get 6 or 7 80lb bags. But mines a 2wd with highwayish tires.

I do the same, or whatever random junk I have laying about.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my last truck, I had a 1 inch thick rubber bed mat, plus a fibreglass canopy. I would guess they totalled around 3 hundred pounds. Never got stuck, and that was with 2WD.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used to add about 5-600lbs of sand bags in the red truck, but these days I just put it in storage and drive the Suburban with 4X4. :gr_grin: