Weak ass horn on '99 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I located the two horns today, which were pretty easy to find with your guy's help. The one by the battery is working while the one behind the grill is dead.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
um...put them in place of your existing horns, hook the positive lead up to the positive terminal, and run a short ground wire from the negative terminal to a crimp-on ring style connector large enough to snatch up under the bolt you use to secure the horn.

Richard

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
um...put them in place of your existing horns, hook the positive lead up to the positive terminal, and run a short ground wire from the negative terminal to a crimp-on ring style connector large enough to snatch up under the bolt you use to secure the horn.

Richard

Thanks Richard. As you can tell I'm not super confident in my wiring skills, but that sounds pretty straight forward.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your original horns ground through the bracket, which is why they only have the 1 terminal for the 12V positive. Replacements will need a wire run, but you can keep it nice and short by grounding the same way, at the bracket. No biggie.

Richard

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool Richard thanks. My horn is weak as hell to. People make fun of me. Big ass truck and weak horn don't mix.

thisoldcamper

Reaction score
I added a 22" long trumpet horn with a separate fuse and relay triggered by my existing horns. It's a 6 volt horn, so it's really loud on 12 volts. Hopefully I won't burn it out too quickly.

Last edited: