Want to do a mild 350 rebuild any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokemgood

Reaction score
My engine decided to die so now I would like to do a mild 350 tbi rebuild. Im looking for some where around 300 horse maybe 350ftp of torque.
I'm looking to get around 20mpg on the highway. My budget is around 2,000 so any advice or help would be great. Im thinking I want vortec heads
for sure but I dont really know beyond that.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I don't know what year truck you have but if it's a TBI 350 then I would rebuild the short block and do a 30 over bore and have a 355 and I would do flat top piston's and a very mild cam so you don't kill your mileage, do vortec head's with the GMPP intake and keep the EGR for highway mileage, do the ultimate mod's on your TBI, and get a custom chip burned tailored for mileage from somewhere like TBI chip's. Lastly keep some higher gear's like 3.08 or 3.42's since you want that kind of mileage. I have a friend getting 23 out of his 355 with 3.08 gear's and a 4L60e, he does 70 at 1750 rpm's.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
300 horse maybe 350ftp of torque.
20mpg
My budget is around 2,000

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick two, you can't have all 3. Good luck is all I can say. Your budget is to low for your goal without going to an ls swap an your budget is too low for that too....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me preach on it.....

That gmpp intake is $410 on summit. A good set of used vortec heads is going to run you at least $150 an they will most definitely need new seals. If you run a cam with more than .480 lift now you need new springs an machine work on the seats an valve guides for the extra lift.....

I just blew through half your budget an didn't even get the engine out of the truck. You can do this, but for it to be reliable you need to save another 1k before you start. If you wind up needing a crank kit, or a cylinder sleeved your budget is busted an your engine is stuck at the machine shop.

You've also got to think of the nickel an dime stuff, gaskets, hoses, ignition components, fluids, filters....

Just my .02

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It could be done, but he's going to hunt on craigslist for a while until some good deal's come along, but yeah for sure to buy it all brand new, no way.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What got me on my 78 was the nickel an dime stuff you don't think of. Busted my "budget" to pieces. It's nothing crazy an I have probably 25-2800 total in it. But it needed a sleeve an a crank kit so that didn't help either....

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My wife is cool with my project's, but taking care of 6 people and paying the bill's there just isn't much left!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why buy the gmpp intake? buy the cheap summit or other brand carb vortec intake for around $150 then buy the carb to tbi adapter plate for like $50 or whatever it is and run that?

biggest thing for tbi is having the chip made or getting the stuff to do one yourself. That cuts into mod money, it's like $300 or so for a custom chip thru tbichips.com I think.

I say bore, maybe stroker crank? then of course you got cam upgrade, chip, headers, then that's about it.

I don't think there's much else could be done with tbi for power other then upgrade this and that, then tune.

of course there's the tbi mods, bigger tb units, bigger injectors, etc.

going with vortec heads, that parts figured out then, can't really use alot of the budget on aftermarket heads or soemthing, so it really only leaves tbi and computer stuff, cam, then block work.

honestly though building a motor, you need to consider other things, like say cooling system, trans, convertor, and gears.

I know I only spent maybe $300 if that on rebuild parts for mine, stock rebuild, but I spent that much in ods and ends, like fluids, plugs, wires etc. so I ended up doubling that and spent like $500-600. if you do headers, then you need exhaust work unless you can buy it or do it yourself.

it would be wise to have the converter match your new cam, and also to beef up or replace the trans, definately when i thas alot of miles on it as well.

then you might want some better gears to help match everything up or better take off to really feel having more power.

Last edited: