Vss output to abs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ecm pinout for 97 shoes a wire that is lables as vss output to abs. Does anybody what signal is sent out and how it is calibrated.
Edit: 97 k2500 burban

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 4L80-E, the vehicle speed is the input signal from the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor.

On 2WD vehicles, the output shaft speed sensor measures the rotational speed of the transmission output shaft, hence the output shaft speed sensor is located on the transmission housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

The vehicle speed sensor reluctor ring is attached to the output carrier assembly.

On 4WD vehicles, the output shaft speed sensor measures the rotational speed of the transfer case output shaft, hence the sensor is located on the transfer case housing.

The vehicle speed sensor reluctor wheel is splined to the transfer case main shaft.

There really is no calibration that I know of. As with most speed sensors, it is measuring a tone ring, and unless I am mistaken, it is a digital signal consisting of a high and low.

The frequency of the signal determines the rotational speed and thus the “vehicle speed.”

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 4L80-E, the vehicle speed is the input signal from the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor.

On 2WD vehicles, the output shaft speed sensor measures the rotational speed of the transmission output shaft, hence the output shaft speed sensor is located on the transmission housing.

The vehicle speed sensor reluctor ring is attached to the output carrier assembly.

On 4WD vehicles, the output shaft speed sensor measures the rotational speed of the transfer case output shaft, hence the sensor is located on the transfer case housing.

The vehicle speed sensor reluctor wheel is splined to the transfer case main shaft.

There really is no calibration that I know of. As with most speed sensors, it is measuring a tone ring, and unless I am mistaken, it is a digital signal consisting of a high and low.
I was trying to verify because signal is coming from ecm and not direct from a sensor. And it is separate from a signal that goes to the cluster. I am switching to ecm that only has one output and was trying to see if I can share output between cluster and abs or have to make something to isolate or condition the signal.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to verify because signal is coming from ecm and not direct from a sensor. And it is separate from a signal that goes to the cluster. I am switching to ecm that only has one output and was trying to see if I can share output between cluster and abs or have to make something to isolate or condition the signal.
Can you let me know what vehicle you have?

Gas or diesel?
4L80-E, right?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from a 2000 service manual, but it's likely the same kind of schematic. The highlighted area is what you are referring to, right?

My guess is that the output shaft speed sensor (as mentioned above) is inputted to the VCM first, which then outputs that [same input] to the EBCM. The reason why is because both control modules, the VCM and the EBCM, require that sensor input for various reasons.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am working with 97 k2500 burban.

Found this bit: necessary signals for the '97 antilock (128.000 pulses/mile) .

Apparently 95 vssb is needed to get the right signal