700r4 VSS and speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reporting back again since there are questions. My speedo still does not work right. I pulled cluster and cleaned all the connections with DeOxIt. I did the ECM as well. Where I am at now is I get a Jumpy Speedo but no CEL. I put a vacuum controller 4th gear only TCC lockup kit on it which takes the ECM out of the picture transmission wise and I am done worrying about it. I decided to add 3 gauges and a pillar mount. Mini Tach, GPS Speedo, and Vacuum. All glowshift stuff. When I did the full diagnosis it suggested a bad ECM as the voltage out of it to the VSS is much lower than expected. I did pickup another ECM just cause it was cheap but I never installed it.
I figured it was a wasted effort anyway because I plan to "upgrade" the engine soon so that ECM will be gone and the speedo will never work again anyway.
Direct to your question. 93 may have 4L60E, with the E being the key. That would make it a different beast. Could not hurt to pull the cluster and DeOxIt the connections though

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Direct to your question. 93 may have 4L60E, with the E being the key. That would make it a different beast. Could not hurt to pull the cluster and DeOxIt the connections though
Any 1993 model year 1/2 ton truck chassis should have the 4L60E; some of the pass cars still had the 700R4 including Vettes, F-bodies, Caprice, etc. By 1994 all those pass cars went to the 4L60E.