Vortec Lover's '98 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They definitely are function over form for you with all the gravel roads you gotta drive. You want nice paint your gonna have to have them lol.

An I usually try not to be negative, but the seat covers are way to boy racer for me.....

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
Yeah I am not a big fan of the seat covers, but hey if you like them that is what matters.

I am probably gonna put some mudflaps on my truck because I do love my paint and I do actually like the look of them.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
They definitely are function over form for you with all the gravel roads you gotta drive. You want nice paint your gonna have to have them lol.

An I usually try not to be negative, but the seat covers are way to boy racer for me.....

Yeah I am not a big fan of the seat covers, but hey if you like them that is what matters.

I am probably gonna put some mudflaps on my truck because I do love my paint and I do actually like the look of them.

Stick them on. They don't look THAT bad- heck, they look good in my opinion. A lot better than a bunch of rock chips and rust spots.

Yeah, the seat covers are most likely a temporary thing, but it beats camouflage in my opinion. Those always make the trucks look a little too 'hillbilly'. (And the only other option at the store I was at was stuff like Hello Kitty and fluffy trims...NO WAY) I'll probably get some flat/neutral colored ones in the end.

Hey, I asked for opinions- if you give them to me, that's great! :D You like oranges, I like apples- BIG DEAL!! :lol: No offense taken guys! They do look pretty stupid in the pictures, but they grow on you in real life! :rofl:

Oh yeah- I'm going to be sticking on my chip guard today so I'll be sure to stick some pics up of how it turns out.

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
YEAH! The guard is finally on!

Pics- pics- pics! (we love pics)

Here's the stuff I used. I only used one can, but I emptied it completely:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the before picture:

Here's the masking:

Here's the after picture:

And here's a closeup for those who want to know what the texture looks like:

You can only really notice the texture when you are really up close. It has a little more frazzle in it than I was hoping for, but as long as it is all uniform it looks awesome. (better than bedliner, that's for sure!) It lightened up my paint a little bit too, but that's no surprise. It looks more silvery now than before. I'm glad that I did the whole tone instead of just the lower part of it so that it matched. If I didn't want it quite so textured, I'm sure that I could sand it down a little bit and clear coat it- or just sand it and leave it.

EDIT: Went outside again...I take that back- the texture looks really good. I'm happy with it :) I'll leave it alone...at least for now. I can't leave things alone very long. Now I have to move on to frame and under body work...

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Finally getting pics up of what I have gotten done on the old girl. I decided that since I was going to paint the frame, I might as well do a good job of it. I did the entire underbody as well.

Here is the stuff that I used:

And for the hard to reach places like over the tranny and the gas tank, I used this spray-on stuff from 3M:

Here are some BEAUTIFUL pictures of what my frame looked like before (beautiful if you like the color of rust-red)

And what it looked like afterwards. Massive improvement. Excuse the stupid cat with one eye that would not leave me alone during the entire process.

Note the wheel wells- I did those too, right over the gap guards so that everything blended in good. They don't look like installed rubber anymore, they look like they are part of the body now. (they are reflecting a lot of light in that photo because they are wet.)

Here's about a week later. It has kept the color very well so far. I had been driving muddy gravel in this photo, so its a little dirty, but you get the idea.

I must apologize for the crappy photos, I have yet to buy a camera- I need to stop buying stuff for my truck :rofl:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good, pictures are fine buy more truck stuff...

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
im feelin the colors on ur truck too. usually i dont dig silver as a second color but it works for urs. the progress looks awesome. has a **** stance

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Looks good, pictures are fine buy more truck stuff...

X2!!!!!!!

:evillol:

im feelin the colors on ur truck too. usually i dont dig silver as a second color but it works for urs. the progress looks awesome. has a **** stance

Thanks! I don't see too many trucks with this color scheme unless they are at stock height. Hopefully I can make it work.

I'm still working on the stance- it ain't too bad, but it'll get better. 'specially once I get some 315's on there with new rims. (still have to justify buying both)

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Random photos I found.

Suzie goin' for a ride. (one of my cb's was broken in this shot- has since been fixed) I also pulled off that stupid "Hidden Hitch" sticker because the hitch is no longer...uh...hidden. I painted it jet black and it looks awesome now. I'll have to get a pic.

My truck with 285's and a 3" bl (and running boards and red undercarriage) next to a stock Chevy on 265's. This would be a great picture for people who want to know how much difference it makes. (plus they would see that green is a killer color when next to a pale blue truck with the same two-tone styling)