Vortec Lover's '98 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Since I've taken off my running boards, my rocker panels also needs some attention. I don't want the gravel roads that I drive to rust my truck to pieces, so I bought four new mud flaps and I'm going to stick those on. (The front ones are on, but they were just quickly slapped into place for the time being) I also picked up some SEM opaque heavy chip guard for my rocker panels- hopefully it turns out good and works like it is supposed to or I am going to be $*&&#.

I also picked up $100 a gallon of brush-on magnetic paint stuff for my chassis and the back of my body panels. And for those hard-to-reach spots I got some rattle-can underbody liner. The weather isn't cooperating right now, so I won't be able to do anything yet. I'll be sure to take some before and after photos of how it turns out.

I'll snap some pictures of my interior, my whips, and CB radio setup later.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Here are some quick pics of the Performance Accessories gap guards. Some people make their own, but I didn't feel like doin' it, so I just spent the $$$ and got these. They fit perfectly and I only needed to tap a couple new holes for them to go on.

You must be registered for see images attach

The front

The back

It is very mucky out right now, so my wheel wells are kind of dirty. Yes, my frame is gross, but I'm going to take care of that soon. I see a powerwasher, some grinding and some painting in the future! I'm going to do the wheel wells and gap gaurds too, I'm going to make sure that everything matches.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interested to see how/where your cb is mounted...

Truck looks good. I also like the color for some reason :rofl:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Interested to see how/where your cb is mounted...

Truck looks good. I also like the color for some reason :rofl:
I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I guess I'll just show you now! :rotflmao:

Okay, here are my epic 4' whips.

And here is my even more epic custom made attachments. I wanted to put my antennas on my tool box, but if I put them on the back, the lid would not open and if I put them on the sides it would look :anitoof:

So, it was time to get creative. I cut up an aluminum plate and drilled a hole through it, extending my mounts out from my box. I think that they turned out pretty good, and I'm very happy with them. I haven't seen anyone else with a mount like these:

With the lid closed:

And with the lid open (yes the lid opens all the way, it just wasn't in the picture):

I suppose that I could grind the plates to make them line up perfectly, but what the heck.

Here is where my CB cables meet on my frame underneath the drivers door:

^the cable on the left runs up into my engine compartment and through my firewall about an inch away from my steering column. To keep the metal from chaffing my cable, I put a rubber seal ring around it and filled the rest of the cavity with epoxy, which is invisibly hidden behind my insulation.

And here is my Cobra 19 DX IV radio, nothing too fancy, but I didn't want to sacrifice a ton of room for a bigger radio.

Here's another shot of my radio so that you can see where it is situated in the cab. Easy to reach. (that is my never-used brake booster under the steering wheel.) I used some zip ties so that the look was very clean and uncluttered, no cables or cords running through the air. I ran the power straight from the fusebox.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good I have the exact same cb....

I went through a drive through today with 9' clearance an my antennas didn't hit. Guess they are not as tall as I thought... :rofl:

I just measured mine cause I was wondering exactly how tall they are.

8' 11" almost :rofl:

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Looks good I have the exact same cb....

I went through a drive through today with 9' clearance an my antennas didn't hit. Guess they are not as tall as I thought... :rofl:

I just measured mine cause I was wondering exactly how tall they are.

8' 11" almost :rofl:

Haha! I've got you there! I must be 9' exactly, or maybe a little more. Mine are mounted an inch or two higher than yours and I am on 285/75/16's (plus I've got a 3" BL)! You've got me curious...I'll have to go measure.....or find a drive through with 9' clearance! :rofl:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha! I've got you there! I must be 9' exactly, or maybe a little more. Mine are mounted an inch or two higher than yours and I am on 285/75/16's (plus I've got a 3" BL)! You've got me curious...I'll have to go measure.....or find a drive through with 9' clearance! :rofl:

You might, but I've got 3"+ of spring on mine though. Something you might want to think about adding to yours....

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
You might, but I've got 3"+ of spring on mine though. Something you might want to think about adding to yours....

I've seriously thought about it, but I've seen some trucks go by and while they are driving, their whips are blowing so far back that they almost laying on the box. Those were always major turnoffs for me- especially when they come to a stop sign and their whips are bobbing all over the place like a pair of bug antennas. Looks very dorky. I happen to like my antennas sticking up so that I get better reception - (this is probably an unneeded fear, isn't it?) - do yours stay straight while you are driving?