Vortec Lover's '98 K1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seriously thought about it, but I've seen some trucks go by and while they are driving, their whips are blowing so far back that they almost laying on the box. Those were always major turnoffs for me- especially when they come to a stop sign and their whips are bobbing all over the place like a pair of bug antennas. Looks very dorky. I happen to like my antennas sticking up so that I get better reception - (this is probably an unneeded fear, isn't it?) - do yours stay straight while you are driving?

I dont have springs on mine and I have 4 footers I believe maybe 5s. I have never followed my truck down the road so I dont know how far they lean back but how far they lean/bounce around depends on how thick the antenna itself is

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seriously thought about it, but I've seen some trucks go by and while they are driving, their whips are blowing so far back that they almost laying on the box. Those were always major turnoffs for me- especially when they come to a stop sign and their whips are bobbing all over the place like a pair of bug antennas. Looks very dorky. I happen to like my antennas sticking up so that I get better reception - (this is probably an unneeded fear, isn't it?) - do yours stay straight while you are driving?

They lean back just a little but only after 50 mph or so. By the time I stop they are back straight an they don't bobble much at all. Mine are 4' firestik fireflys so they are lighter than normal 4'. I used the firestik medium strength springs. They also have some stronger than what I have. Those guys you see with them bobbing around need heavier springs....

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
They lean back just a little but only after 50 mph or so. By the time I stop they are back straight an they don't bobble much at all. Mine are 4' firestik fireflys so they are lighter than normal 4'. I used the firestik medium strength springs. They also have some stronger than what I have. Those guys you see with them bobbing around need heavier springs....

That helps. All I can figure is those guys like their whips to flap around :shrug: I'll probably pick up some heavy springs if I happen to see them somewhere. Oh...I measured my truck: I came in at just over 9' 1" :evillol:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got mine off Ebay, I can put up a link later if you want....

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Okay, here was another one of my little mods. I stuck in a K & N Air Filter, which to my surprise, raised my mileage 0.5-0.75 a gallon. It may have raised my horse by the same amount, but there's no way to know that :shrug:

Maybe a waste of money, but its kind of cool because people think it is cool. Verdict: It is cool. :cool:

I didn't feel like buying the entire cold-air intake just yet, but that will probably be a future mod when I have the money to blow on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Hey it's a couple pages back, but I am from the Dubuque area. Maybe I'll see yeah going down 20 some time. Lol. Truck is looks great!

Thanks! I'm working on it. And yeah, maybe I'll run into you one of these days. I head down 20 once a week, but in a different vehicle. I do see a couple of nice GMT400's around here, but not too many, so I'd know if I saw you :) You should join the Iowa GMT400 group that I'm in- we only have three members so far :rofl: so I'm working on membership right now.

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm working on it. And yeah, maybe I'll run into you one of these days. I head down 20 once a week, but in a different vehicle. I do see a couple of nice GMT400's around here, but not too many, so I'd know if I saw you :) You should join the Iowa GMT400 group that I'm in- we only have three members so far :rofl: so I'm working on membership right now.

Just joined! And you won't be seeing my truck for a couple weeks... still in the process of painting it... so it is all torn apart. My dad runs down 20 all the time into Waterloo and I will also be on 20 more when i start my summer job in 2 weeks.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Just joined! And you won't be seeing my truck for a couple weeks... still in the process of painting it... so it is all torn apart. My dad runs down 20 all the time into Waterloo and I will also be on 20 more when i start my summer job in 2 weeks.

Cool! I'm going to be painting my frame and underbody here shortly as well, but I'm not going to pull it apart much, just going to jack it up and get to work. I checked out your build- nice job! Very thorough. I would like to do that to mine, but its too much work for right now. After powerwashing and maybe a little grinding, I'm going to brush my paint on and rattlecan the really tight spots that I can't reach. I'm just waiting for the forecast to clear up so that I can get started on it...that and waiting for a break in my work schedule that lines up with the weather.