Vortec 454 Intake Gasket Sealant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXVortec454

Reaction score
Planning to tackle the lower intake gaskets on my Vortec 454 over Thanksgiving due to coolant leaks. I am going to use Fel Pro MS95826 gaskets. From those of you that have done this job on a 454, not a 350, what are your suggestions on whether sealants should be applied to gasket surfaces? Or are these gaskets intended to be installed dry?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I did not do mine personally, I had a shop do it. The intake bolts, need thread locker, or they may loosen up........ guess what the shop I had do the gaskets didn't use.

I don't know about the gaskets.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Planning to tackle the lower intake gaskets on my Vortec 454 over Thanksgiving due to coolant leaks. I am going to use Fel Pro MS95826 gaskets. From those of you that have done this job on a 454, not a 350, what are your suggestions on whether sealants should be applied to gasket surfaces? Or are these gaskets intended to be installed dry?

I used RTV black on mine. I also used those same gaskets. Using RTV, cleanly, will only make the gaskets seal better. I did just enough to put a thin coating on and it not to bulge out, on both sides.

You may also want to take the time to change your coolant to "Green" from DeXcool. Doing the gaskets will disturb a lot of muck that will be in your front and rear head coolant passages, so be prepare for a clogged heater core in the near future (It's getting to be winter, backflush that thing and install a filter or strainer). Also prepare to put another water pump on, because all that crud in the system could ruin the bearings and seals. Just be prepared.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

the big blocks are know for leaking oil on the back. Ditch the front and back bridge that go on the block itself and put a nice bead of RTV in its place.

TXVortec454

Reaction score
Previous owner changed from orange to green coolant. I guess I will put a thin film of RTV around the water jackets and leave the ports dry. I am not concerned about vacuum leaks.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
the big blocks are know for leaking oil on the back. Ditch the front and back bridge that go on the block itself and put a nice bead of RTV in its place.
I've never used those things, my dad told me years ago to run a bead of silicone and let it sit for about five minutes, always worked...

As for the gaskets, the new style I install dry

TXVortec454

Reaction score
I plan to do this job over Thanksgiving. However, after I looked at the gaskets in person it is pretty obvious they are intended to be installed dry. It will be very important that the gasket surfaces be hospital grade clean.