Vortec 350 doesn't start. Spark advance shows 0deg.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthernTahoe

Reaction score
1999 Tahoe 350 vortec.

Has been sitting a week or two. Doesn't start. Gas smell is coming from exhaust, so it's an ignition problem. When it's turning, scanning software shows constant 0 degrees of spark advance.

Last time the truck was started after some sitting, it had occasional stumbling on light acceleration, but it went away pretty fast, after which it started and run normally.

I think it might have had occasional kind of hard starts every now and then.

What's your first guess?
Thanks for any help!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hate guessing. Test instead. Check for spark instead of assuming. If spark is weak or erratic there may be a problem with the cap (damaged internally, wet, etc.); if it's non-existent then suspect the ignition module.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't sweat the advance, they're pretty retarded when they crank. It helps them crank faster.

NorthernTahoe

Reaction score
Cap and rotor contacts were in very bad condition. Started instantly after cap& rotor change.

Rearmost cap attaching screw didn't tighten to the distributor, so I replaced it with a small bolt + 2 nuts.