Volant CAIs, anyone have any numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Most of those setups disappoint...if its pulling air from under the hood and not from the inside the fender (as most CAIs do, and I'm not sure how you would get a setup that fit the truck with a non-factory engine, so I'll go with it), you are most likely going to lose a couple HP. Nothing you'll feel either way.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran one on my 350 TBI and you could feel it a lil and made my exhaust deeper, never got around to throwing it on the dyno, I always thought it was the best one cause the filter is in a box and draws air from the fender but always get the K and N is better cause they have gains to back it up

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Most of those setups disappoint...if its pulling air from under the hood and not from the inside the fender (as most CAIs do, and I'm not sure how you would get a setup that fit the truck with a non-factory engine, so I'll go with it), you are most likely going to lose a couple HP. Nothing you'll feel either way.

It's a factory '98 454 going into a '96, it'll fit like it should. And again, not holding my breath on any performance gains, mainly got it to look different from stock without being tacky, just had a curiosity bug about anyone having evidence. Which is quickly being killed.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well in that case I think you'd see a dyno difference of maybe 5-8 HP, but not SOTP difference. Every little bit counts though, and on higher HP builds they can be magnified as more air flow is needed.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
It's a factory '98 454 going into a '96, it'll fit like it should. And again, not holding my breath on any performance gains, mainly got it to look different from stock without being tacky, just had a curiosity bug about anyone having evidence. Which is quickly being killed.

like I said, run it and tell us how it comes back. as hopeless as we sound, we all love solid information!

Reaction score
Installed one last night, on my 99 K2500 7.4 454. I don't have any #'s to prove anything, but I can tell you this much. Installing this Volant CAI on my 454 made it a different animal. I have a lot better throttle response and over all by the seat of the pants it was worth the $204 SHIPPED to my door.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Installed one last night, on my 99 K2500 7.4 454. I don't have any #'s to prove anything, but I can tell you this much. Installing this Volant CAI on my 454 made it a different animal. I have a lot better throttle response and over all by the seat of the pants it was worth the $204 SHIPPED to my door.

Good to hear. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a scanner than can read intake flow/etc. It would be useful to you fellas as well since I like to brag about any actual numbers I can come up with. :naughty:
Get it from Amazon? That's the only place I found it that cheap

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score

where from Iowa are you??? haha

Good to hear. I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a scanner than can read intake flow/etc. It would be useful to you fellas as well since I like to brag about any actual numbers I can come up with. :naughty:

do it man