Volant CAIs, anyone have any numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Scored a Volant for my L29 swap for $100. I know they're supposed to be the best, does anyone have any numbers to back it up? I'm using it either way, just was curious if someone had solid proof, on any engine.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
good intake... not much better than stock though. Vortec engines don't stand as much to gain from a CAI because they have one factory.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that, just lookin' for numbers. The factory one is just a hair more restrictive and less efficient with the paper filter, accordion tube, and silencer box, but nothing that's seat-of-your-pants noticeable. I did a lot of research (as I do with most things I haven't tried), and almost bought a new one before finding this one, but I can't seem to find anyone besides Volant themselves who has any solid proof of gain. Plenty of people swear by it, but noone has any actual proof of increase, be it in HP or MPG. I'm not stressing over it, just curious. It's really more for underhood show than anything. I'm putting the truck on the dyno when I get the swap done anyways. Nothing special, it's an 80,000 mile (very clean) engine and the only major things I'm doing is a full gasket set, 502 Marine cam, LS1 injectors, mid-length headers, steel rollertip rockers (lame, I know, but every point of resistance counts), and 411 swap. Also doing small simple stuff like porting the throttle body, MAF, and intake, running thicker plug wires, using a low resistance coil, and dual 2.5" exhaust with high-flow cats and crossover muffler (works kind of like an X pipe I guess, probably not as efficient, but it's what I've got. Also toying with the idea of electric cutouts, because, well, why not?). Most of which I have already done with the smallblock and has worked out pretty well. I'm not trying to make crazy power out of this truck, it's my daily, I'd be happy to see 320-350HP at the most. Besides, I've got another beast under construction to play with haha. And I'm using my spare L29 harness to inject it!

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Well, you'll be able to tell us all the numbers after you run it :cheers:

and I think you change the text in from you About Me page or something like that... just snoop around a bit and you should find it. been a while since I've changed mine

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Well, you'll be able to tell us all the numbers after you run it :cheers:

Yeah but not the intake specifically :( Maybe at the time I can cough up a little extra cash and he'll let me change intakes between runs :gr_grin:

Personally, if I had the money and the time, I'd do one mod at a time and dyno every time to see differences. That way I can shove it to the doubters and encourage the people who are apprehensive

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Just Google or Bing "Chassis Dyno", or just "Dyno" and it ought to bring up the closest place. I'm lucky, mine's less than a mile from my apt :banana-mario: