Value of our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Run of the mill trucks like ECSB C/K1500s, 2WD C2500/3500s, Suburbans, Tahoe and Yukons can range anywhere from $800-$8,000 around me; my apparently rare ECSB K2500 is an oddity around here as it's the only big block short bed 2500 in my area.
I don't care what they'll value out at, if these are considered "classics"; as long as there is still tons of them on the road and a few in the junkyards to keep the rest of them running, I'll be happy.

To me they are, simply because I'm really not a fan of modern trucks. If it's got more than one camshaft or a mile long timing chain I don't want it. But I'd pay more for one if it's mostly original and hasn't been "teenaged" if you know what I mean. It's getting harder and harder to find these and other older trucks that haven't been altered.

Amen to that, I prefer my mildly modified, border-line stock grandpa truck versus a lifted "show" truck that's been beat on like a rented mule.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the Kansas area they can be had dirt cheap all day long. Alot of them in decent-great shape. A rough one won't sell for 4 figures. Fine by me. A newer truck is far more expensive, and an emissions nightmare ( though they perform better and are more efficient ).

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yep, the older I get the more I appreciate cars that were left as the factory intended. I certainly loved our '88 C3500 RCLB, factory with 454, 4 speed trans and every option except power windows, locks & tow hooks and the split window. Just couldn't find a NV4500 for it and hated the SM465.

"A newer truck is far more expensive, and an emissions nightmare ( though they perform better and are more efficient )."

They really aren't more efficient in terms of fuel usage, I don't see 20mpg to be much of an improvement over 15mpg when you consider that to get to that 20mpg, you gotta throw down what, 30k or more compared to say our '89 K1500 that we've got roughly ~$4,500 into total? How many years would I have to pay increased insurance, registration and such just for that difference to pay itself off? Would it even pay off? Anyway, they certainly are more efficient when you consider output vs displacement. But these understressed low powered engines lumber on forever because of it, least in my experience. People try to use the fuel argument with me against my DD '88 Town Car. "How many miles to the gallon do you get and doesn't that cost you a fortune in gas??"
My response depends on my mood but I have said things like "I spend less in gas per month then you do for your car payment." That thing will do over 24mpg on the highway, which is fantastic. Now, I once bought a Chevy Colorado new, and for the three years I drove it, I spent nearly 11k to do so, not including gas and insurance or the stereo I put in it. In the three years I've driven my Town Car and with adding things like a sound system, fancy window tint and upgraded alternator I've spent less than $6,500. That thing puts more smiles on my face than the Colorado ever did. On the same street though, our older trucks will get the job done just as straight six powered trucks did back in the day. That 454 truck would have handled anything I threw at it and even at 8 mpg it's still cheaper and cooler to own (IMO) than a new truck. I'm not out to impress anyone who isn't contributing to my bottom line so while a new truck might give my buddies something to talk about for a lil while they aren't going to help me with the payments or insurance or the upkeep. I had my Colorado in the shop more times than I care to remember, certainly more than my Town Car has been and I've put more miles on that... "Old, not obsolete."

Last edited:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look at as when you buy a new vehicle it starts to depreciate from day one. It will continue down till it just bottoms out. If it is maintained and not rusted out after a while as prices on replacement vehicles rise the price of the older well maintained vehicle will rise with them. A good running solid truck will always be worth more as the price of newer trucks rise. Then after a few body changes and fewer are still around they become more unique and desirable as the vehicle they wanted when new but couldn't afford. Our trucks have reached the bottom of depreciation and if kept nice can only go up.
When I started driving in 1969 a basic cheap car was about $300.00 bucks. Now they are a few thousand.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here in AZ I think the only reason gmt400's are sought after is because they are cheap and easy to fix. I have a 98 Yukon that my parents have owned since new and I have owned for 3 years now. I will be lucky to sell it for $3,000 and it is in pristine condition with 165k miles.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought my 88' RCLB back in July in Idaho. One of the reasons that prompted me to buy a truck was because all the old trucks I saw in Twin Falls were rust free. When I started looking I initially wanted a square body but quickly realized with my 3k budget that was never going to happen so I expanded my search to all any and all rust free trucks for under 3k. It seemed like there were quite a bit of Fords and Dodges in that price range but very few GM's, especially 1/2 tons with 350's, which made me specifically seek out a 88-98 1/2 ton with a 350. I know there's a ton of them out there but people must be hanging onto them for a reason.

If you can find a rust free 1/2 ton with a 350 for a couple of grand, don't hesitate to buy it. I can only see these trucks going up in value. Especially if it has oem paint and is mostly stock.

Last edited:

coale71

Reaction score
I had a 96 Yukon i bought new in 1997 from Nalley GMC in Wilmington, DE. It was a SLT with every option available at that time. The only problem it was 2WD. The sticker was over $36000 and I paid $24000 for it. I sold it in 2013 for $2400. It had 180,000 on it but was in excellent shape. The price has risen in this area so much, I believe i could $4000-$5000 in this current market.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I turned down an offer of $2500 for my rust free/but not pretty, a/c delete 99 c3500 w/t cclb w/ 494,551mi. that's right, 494,551mi on my 21ft land barge & it just passed inspection again last week. one more time :) 494,551mi on a 6 passenger w/o a/c, manual windows & locks, 1pc back window. man is it a sweat box in the summer, but boy do I love the pissed looks I get. people don't expect it to be so long when I come around a corner, even better w/ a trailer in tow. :)