Upgrading from 2-3” to 6”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6" kit? and what size tires?

I have a Zone 6" which actually measures the full 6" (I measured it myself on all the brackets) and 37s. I had to cut bumper and fender for the 37s so I'd say go 35s. The 37s are also a lot more expensive and have fewer options than 35s.

If you buy the Zone lift directly from their website you can have them leave out the shocks and knock a little off the price. This is what I did and then put the money towards Bilsteins. 100% worth it, I love the way the truck rides. It's firm enough that you feel like you have good control of the vehicle but doesn't beat you up on the big bumps.

The RCX measures out to about 5" and you are supposed to crank up or down to get the 4-6 range. This is not necessarily a bad thing and might actually suit a 33-35 inch tire better IMO.

Last edited:

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hipster gave you solid advice in post #4 and so did @boy&hisdogs .
4” for your current 33’s and 6” if you want to go to 35’s. Next you’ll want to do gears.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Debating whether to go rough country or go BDS… I’ll probably go RC then stack up and go BDS and get the full upgrade with all the options. It’s almost 5k..
The RC kit is very easy to install if you are mechanically inclined. I think you get a little more lift out of the Zone kit, that being said, you cannot beat the price of the RC kit. Buy the 6" kit if you go RC. You can leave it at 4" or go to 6". People dog on the shocks, and yes, they aren't Bilsteins, but they ride nice. Most of the kits are all the same when you look at the install instructions and components. The RC kit is nice because you don't have to cut the mounting ear off the front diff. I also recommend installing the Torsion Bar Relocators so you get to fully utilize the lift. They put the torsion bars back in the stock location so nothing is hanging down under the frame. They made my truck ride a little stiffer in the front. Not a holy crap difference, but I noticed it. https://www.realiftsuspension.com/ I always called my torsion bar drop bracket "the snow plow"... It was nice to delete that. If you don't plan on beating the crap out of your truck or pulling any Dukes of Hazzard stuff, the RC kit is more than capable. If you are going to do some serious wheeling, id recommend a SAS front end conversion. I take my truck all over the place on forest roads and in the snow. The RC kit has performed perfect for me.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
decrank a 6" no point going 4. rough country's use of a 2-3" lift kit and their extended band aid upper arms are one of many many reasons i steer away from them altogether. a zone or bds would be a good fit.