Upgrading from 2-3” to 6”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h3ad tr9p

Reaction score
So I’m having issues with my toe running 33’s on 20’s didn’t think it would be an issue but the handling is horrible. Only thing I’m thinking is upgrading to a 6” and running bilsteen shocks for better ride. Do I need to go back stock on my drop brackets and control arms? Curious if anything needs to change. Thanks in advance.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your post isn't all that clear, what's been done, cranked?, what hasn't, are talking about a proper type 6" lift kit etc. Tie rod/toe problem are we talking about bumpsteer ? Spill the beans.

h3ad tr9p

Reaction score
I have a 2-3” rough country kit. My steering and handling is horrible on the interstate. I tried putting a stabilizer in but my alignment guy said he had a similar issue with an obs and the only way he could correct it was to lift it higher. So I need to know if I upgrade to 6 if I need to change anything back to stock as far as the front differential drop brackets or control arms.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 2-3” rough country kit. My steering and handling is horrible on the interstate. I tried putting a stabilizer in but my alignment guy said he had a similar issue with an obs and the only way he could correct it was to lift it higher. So I need to know if I upgrade to 6 if I need to change anything back to stock as far as the front differential drop brackets or control arms.
Hit a bump and the truck wants to change lanes or jerk to one side or the other? A 4 inch kit would be good for 33's. A proper kit drops ths cv's , LCA's, and steering linkage down to correct all the goofy angles. I don't know that the RC uppers would work with or be compatible with a kit. The 4/6 inch kits come with their own diff drop bracket for their kit.

Last edited:

h3ad tr9p

Reaction score
Hit a bump and the truck wants to change lanes or jerk to one side or the other? A 4 inch kit would be good for 33's. A proper kit drops ths cv's , LCA's, and steering linkage down to correct all the goofy angles. I don't know that the RC uppers would work with or be compatible with a kit. The 4/6 inch kits come with their own diff drop bracket for their kit.
Yes that’s exactly what it does

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want a lifted truck, its really best to do it properly and install a 6" lift kit. Buy the Rough Country 6" lift kit. Only difference between 4 and 6" is it comes with extra leaf spring. It will ride awesome. Honestly, they ride better lifted IMO.

h3ad tr9p

Reaction score
Debating whether to go rough country or go BDS… I’ll probably go RC then stack up and go BDS and get the full upgrade with all the options. It’s almost 5k..

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, you should get rid of all the current lift and go back to stock when you use a real lift kit. If I were you I'd go 4 inch, if you go 6" then the 33s will look too small so you'll want to go 35s but then the truck will drive like crap and you'll want gears, and so on and so on until you are all out of money.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want a lifted truck, its really best to do it properly and install a 6" lift kit. Buy the Rough Country 6" lift kit. Only difference between 4 and 6" is it comes with extra leaf spring. It will ride awesome. Honestly, they ride better lifted IMO.
6" kit? and what size tires?