Undoing a 4l60e to 700r4 conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 96 4wd tahoe that has been partially converted to a 700r4. It's hard to get straight answers from Mr Craigslist, but he said it drives, can't be put into drive from inside the cabin, shifts hard from 1 to 2 (he said last time he drove it the shifts were normal though) is missing the front driveshaft, He said the wiring hadn't been messed with, but then he also said something about a module which he couldn't further explain. He didn't do the swap and got the truck in this shape.

Any thoughts on how hard this'll be to get back to a 4l60e? Did whoever did it have to hack the wiring to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I sure hope he's not asking too much. With that many issues, I would assume it needs a brand new rebuilt 4l60e. And if its closer than that to finishing the swap and being able to drive cheaper then thats just a bonus. But assume your going to spend at least $1500 into fixing the problems.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
It's priced pretty low. But I might want to spend a little more for less headache.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And the crappy swap is just the thing you know about. What other great ideas did the previous owner have

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 96 4wd tahoe that has been partially converted to a 700r4. It's hard to get straight answers from Mr Craigslist, but he said it drives, can't be put into drive from inside the cabin, shifts hard from 1 to 2 (he said last time he drove it the shifts were normal though) is missing the front driveshaft, He said the wiring hadn't been messed with, but then he also said something about a module which he couldn't further explain. He didn't do the swap and got the truck in this shape.

Any thoughts on how hard this'll be to get back to a 4l60e? Did whoever did it have to hack the wiring to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

And the TV cable hooks to what exactly?????

Even if the enterprising swap individual drilled and bolted a pivot on the side of the bellcrank, the ratio needs to be exact. ( just like swapping different ratio rocker arms.... a small change could cause big troubles. )

I highly doubt the shift shaft was changed out to allow mounting of the range switch. (PRNDL switch )

The tv cable controls line pressure and is NOT optional on a 700R4. PCM would be looking for data from TCC and a few other parameters, best if it was swapped for a manual trans PCM or flashed to become one.

Missing the front shaft..... big fail.

Sounds like time to walk away.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pass and find another with less issues... if that was hacked in their there is bound to be alot more issues too...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf