Tune up Time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ep-80

Reaction score
ok i did a search on what spark plugs to run in my truck and found nothing. i have a stock engine but i have it lifted. so i want something that is better then stock plugs or does it even matter? I dont know what these 5.7 like. So any help will be greatful. Thanks all

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
acdelco all they way! thats what they came with and IMO thats what should be put back in. MSD wires cap and rotor close the hood!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i did a search on what spark plugs to run in my truck and found nothing. i have a stock engine but i have it lifted. so i want something that is better then stock plugs or does it even matter? I dont know what these 5.7 like. So any help will be greatful. Thanks all

I use NGK plugs, I like the copper ones better than the others. copper is a much better electrical conductor than platinum or iridium, and should make a stronger spark from less resistance to the conduction pathways. however it is a softer metal and therefore the plugs will not last as long as the platium or iridiums. so if you do plug changes at regular intervals and keep up on your maintenance, then go with a stock style copper plug, if you plan on just throwing some plugs in and letting 'em go for a long period of time, then you may want to look into the platinums. I don't like iridium at all, the one time I tired them they degraded the idle quality a good amount but that may just be my setup. (ever wonder why you don't see iridium or platinum wiring? other than pure cost of the materials, its because true copper is the $hit at electrical conduction. really only silver (Ag) is better)

here is some cool visual from MIT that ranks the periodic elements according to electrical conductivity:
http://web.mit.edu/course/3/3.091/www3/pt/pert7.html

a bigger # means its a better electrical conductor. Cu is copper and is the second highest at 60.7, Ir (iridium) is 21.3, and Pt (Platinum) is pretty low at 9.4...(lots of other cool data on that site too like elemental thermal conductivity, etc...science is fun)

in fact here is a simmialr chart ranking the density of the elements at 300K, in this graph you can see Ir and Pt are very high, this is why they have a longer life as a spark plug.
http://web.mit.edu/course/3/3.091/www3/pt/pert6.html

okay. so as far as brand, I only use NGK which is basically the same as AC Delco. I really wouldn't recommend using anything else, though others may be fine, I have had the best success with NGK's. I ran TR55's when my truck was N/A, and I currently run TR6's with boost.

whatever you do, DO NOT get those stupid 2/3/4/25 multiple electrode design plugs, like the Bosch +4 or whatever they call it. its simply a marketing ploy to get your money. electricity can and will only travel the path of least resistance, it cannot simultaneously arc to 4 separate electrodes as their product art suggests and will not do any such thing. not only that, but all those extra electrodes actually shield the spark from the air/fuel mixture somewhat, which will result in a less efficient ignition IMO.
check out Bosch's marketing department at work trying to get your money with science fiction:
You must be registered for see images attach

you really won't get any performance gain from changing your spark plugs unless your current ones have problems. the best thing you can do for your vehicle is regular and routine maintenance, which includes checking, and replacing the plugs as needed.

Last edited:

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY STAY AWAY FROM E3 PLUGS, now that im done yelling at your eyeballs, Those were only decent in very small two stroke engines like lawn equipment. When my friend and I put them in his '84 Vette with the 350 and crossfire injection (pos injection IMO) the car wouldnt run right and that really screwed us up on trying to get the idle adjusted after doing a cam job that we knew next to nothing about...

Keep it simple, and Id listen to Aloicious.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have AC Delco Platinum Professional Plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACDelco Spark Plugs are made for the 350.
Bosch spark plugs are not exactly the same shape and size as the ACDelco so it creates some problems. Go with the ACDelco.

MSD all the way.

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on anything else, buy AC Delco. Cap, rotor, and plugs. Wires you can go a different route if you want. The other parts from autozone and such are cheap offshore built crap that will only give you problems in the long run.