True Duals aftermarket install queztions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys..

I need help with figuring out what to buuy as far as exhaust. I want true duels on my 98 z71 extended cab. My truck is a 5.7 350 v8. It already has 2 cats on each header pipe with the stock setup.. So therefor I beleive I can get a cat back system for true duals right? I want two flowmaster 44 mufflers for a aggressive, raspy tone. But I don't want to take my truck to an exhaust shop ( I have a friend who can cut/weld for free). My question is how do I go about this? What all pipes am I gonna need? I know you can buy all sorts of pipes from summit and various other placez, but I'm not sure as to what I am gonna need to buy to accomplish this, such as intermediate pipe, and other piping.

I've also considered buying single in, dual out mufflers, but I've heard they dont give much performance gains.

So finally, how should I go about this? I want true duals, but is it possible to do so without an exhaust shop doing it for me? And is it better for me to just go with a single in, dual output instead? Any helpful advice would be appreciated
. Thanks guys.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Since you're taking about performance gains, true duals provide less performance then the factory exhaust. You lose all the scavenging effect with true duals.

~Via Mobile \,,/

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for listing part numbers btw.. do you know if this is a straight pipe or flared side exit? I have a custom bumper and hitch and idk if a straight pipe setup would work haha. And are you sure no modifications have to be made? Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
True dual has no cats at all. A pipe from driver side exhaust manifold to single muffler and exit in the rear if truck. Passenger side, same thing. They don't connect with each other. I always have had this done to my trucks over the years.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True dual has no cats at all. A pipe from driver side exhaust manifold to single muffler and exit in the rear if truck. Passenger side, same thing. They don't connect with each other. I always have had this done to my trucks over the years.

True duals can have cats, mufflers, resonator our anything you want except a crossover

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I have the same truck as you and I have what you're talking about (Flowmasters but I'm not sure which ones since they were done before I bought the truck). When I bought it the guy did the cheapest thing, left the whole dual setup with the 2" pipe and had the single muffler cut out and had 2 Flowmasters put in. Over the years I've just had fixed what needed to be replaced and had an X pipe added so it's all hacked up, I want to redo the whole thing. Anyways it's not as loud as you'd think. I assumed true duals would be louder, but it's the opposite. It sounds pretty good with a smooth sound that doesn't sound like glasspacks (hate glasspack sound, sounds like to me). If I ever redo it I want to basically have a stock setup but better. Imagine the stock system but with high flow cats, 2 1/2" pipe and a single Flowmaster Super 10 muffler that is dual in and dual out. No need for a crossover pipe since the muffler being dual in and dual out acts as the crossover to equalize the sides. If you're like me and want super loud then get the super 10s, those are the loudest Flowmasters for street gas trucks, at least that's what I've read and heard. If it's too loud I can always have the muffler cut out and had 2 single in and single out Super 10s. As for performance, if you want true duals I wouldn't get over 2 1/2" pipe. If you use 3" or bigger pipes for true duals then you'll lose back pressure which will lose low end torque. Personally I wouldn't mind losing just a little low end torque to get the sound, as long as it doesn't make it real noticeable.