true dual straights on 350 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 97 ecsb 4x4 that has true dual glass packs on it. Wasn't loud enough so I took the cats out and I still want it louder (I'm 16) so I want this thing to be a real head turner in the small town I live in. it runs fine right now and no engine light so far. But I want to know if anyone else has ran straights without cats and how it ran, performance, mileage etc...
Thanks for any info or thoughts I'd really appreciate it

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I have a 97 ecsb 4x4 that has true dual glass packs on it. Wasn't loud enough so I took the cats out and I still want it louder (I'm 16) so I want this thing to be a real head turner in the small town I live in. it runs fine right now and no engine light so far. But I want to know if anyone else has ran straights without cats and how it ran, performance, mileage etc...
Thanks for any info or thoughts I'd really appreciate it

Tons of people do. Unless the cats were deleted via tune or the o2 sensors are dummied out you should be getting a code for poor catalytic performance.
Some people think straights add more power and some swear they get better mileage. No numbers to back it up though.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
straights rob power put a x or h pipe in there, if you want a good flowing loud exhuast borla xr1, slp lm2's or delta 40s or the knockoff dynamouths and such.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I got dual 3" straights dumped over the axle. Loving every minute of them. They are not too awful loud. They don't have that raspy pop to them that is common with smaller straights.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I got dual 3" straights dumped over the axle. Loving every minute of them. They are not too awful loud. They don't have that raspy pop to them that is common with smaller straights.
Heard of back pressure issues when running true 3" duals on the 350. You had any?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
not that i know of. they are factory 3" down pipes and have the converter hulls still in them. Idk where the backpressue myths are rooted, but less is better IMO, The engine having to push the exhaust out is taking ponies from reaching my wheels. IDK why folks think you need it for it to run correctly.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
not that i know of. they are factory 3" down pipes and have the converter hulls still in them. Idk where the backpressue myths are rooted, but less is better IMO, The engine having to push the exhaust out is taking ponies from reaching my wheels. IDK why folks think you need it for it to run correctly.
I've just read that it affects different parts of the power band. Something to the effect of needing some BP at low RPMs but little to none at high.