Truck will not start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 1994 k1500 with a 5.7l. The truck will not turnover. When I turned the key it just sort of sounds like it wants to try, and power is going to the engine, but something is preventing it. The battery is not dead, and it does not click as if it were. I am throwing 2 codes. One 32 for EGR circuit, and one 54 for fuel pump circuit. I have already replaced the fuel pump relay and fuse. Please any help is appreciated.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the starter isn't turning the engine or the engine is turning but won't start?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
From what he said, just sounds like a weak battery or bad connection between the battery and the starter

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Battery test first. Then, battery terminal and cable ends cleaned and re-installed. Then, cable from battery to stater, including relay, checked, and connections cleaned and re-installed. If no luck, starter needs to be tested.

All this assumes that when you turn the key, it turns over, but so slowly that it will not start. If it's not turning over at all, then a different approach. Let us know.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tested the battery it checked out fine. The connections are solid and everything. I took out the starter and had it tested. It checked out fine, but the teeth were very worn on the gear, so i replaced it. The replacement starter doesn't seem to fit in there quite right. There is a little bit of a gap between the transfer case and starter, and it just looks weird to me. Now when i crawl underneath there and have someone try to turn the truck over, i can here it clicking. It sounds like the gear is too far away and won't engage the flywheel. I will take the starter back to auto zone tomorrow and try another one thats maybe pre shimmed or a more OEM fit. And jrgunn the engine won't turn over at all.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it only clicks then the pull in coil on the starter solenoid is working and receiving power from the ignition switch. Either the starter isn't getting enough power through the main cable from the battery, the solenoid is faulty, or starter isn't getting a good ground. You need to perform a voltage drop test at the starter and see how much power you are actually getting at the starter, and perform the same test at the battery. If voltage drops very low at both the starter and battery, your battery is probably too weak, or the engine is seized (unlikely, but possible). If voltage is good at the battery and low at the starter, the cable is crap. If it's good at both ends, the starter motor has an open circuit or the solenoid is no good... Or the ground connection is no good. Go forth and troubleshoot!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im on it. Im determined to get this truck running by the end of the day. It feels like its something simple like you are saying. I am thinking that the starter i bought just for whatever reason doesn't fit right. I wish i kept the old one instead of getting the stupid 10 dollar core money so i could at least see how it fit.

mistaake

Reaction score
I had this issue and after replacing starter and battery it ended up being one of the battery terminals... a $3 fix after spending $300+ throwing parts at it. Intermittently it would do what you are describing, after replacing the battery terminal it was perfect.