Truck Sputtering and a dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck in question is a 1996 K1500, with a 350 vortec and 4L60e trans.

So, I was on my way out of town, only about an hour drive, and about 15-20 minutes away from the hotel, I noticed the truck didn't seem to want to accelerate, so I decided to pull over. As I did, it started surging, backfiring, and sputtering as I slowed some on the shoulde. The truck would start, spitter and die. I let it sit, called my dad and what not. After he said he'd call my uncle, who was near by, I started the truck, and was able to drive it like normal.

Once we got into town, we hit two lights, it died each time. The first light, I started it again, got it into gear, and it started driving slowly and sputtering, I kept giving it gas, and took off again as I crossed the intersection. The next light was right by the hotel, so I tried doing the same thing, but the truck wasn't taking off like it did last time, and I limped into the parking lot, popping and sputtering. I've been letting it sit for the past hour and a half, but haven't checked on it or anything.

I know I had a bad car for a while, just haven't had a chance to replace it, and I recently did all of the fuel lines from the fuel rail back, new tank, filter, pump, sending unit, everything, and I did the mpfi upgrade last fall. I'm leaning on it being a clogged cat, though. My dad thinks it might be vapor lock.

We're out here for a wedding, so dad is coming out tomorrow, and I have him bringing my scanner, some tools, and a saw. If it is the cat, would cutting it off help it at all? Obviously replace it when I get home, but until then, would it be fine for the hour drive back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the test procedure for a restricted exhaust.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I just learned another lesson in life: stop getting pissed and jumping to the worst conclusions....

My intake silencer popped off. I put it back on, and it started running normal again. I'm sorry for wasting your time with a dumb problem/fix. I appreciate the help, though

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheap fixes are nice, glad you got it sorted out.