Truck camper recommendation for '97 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a truck camper but I'm not sure how limited I am weight-wise.

Truck is an ECSB w/5.7 Vortec, 4L60 and 3.73s on 32' tires. I've found a few smaller ones (no bathroom which is fine). These seem to run 1100-1600# dry. I'm sure 1100# shouldn't be a problem but will 1600#?

Also, will I still be able to pull a small boat (1500-2500# total weight boat/motor/trailer)?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Steve

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The payload is anywhere from 1500 to 2200 on your truck, which has to accout for fluids and fuel and passengers. So I would aim for closer to 1100 than 1600. It's rated to tow 7,000 according to the guide at Trailer Life.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Didn't want to severely overload it and ask for problems.

I've had an exact ton in the bed of one before, multiple times. My family owns a store that sells wood pellets, which come in bags or tons.

It's more than I should have hauled with a half ton for sure, and long term I'm sure it wouldn't have lasted, but I think 1200 lb camper with care would last forever.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
You'd be surprised how adversely airbags work for slide in campers. They can be used but most people use them to level the truck out which brings them off the overload springs - and thus adds less side to side stability. I actually suggest a set of additional top of spring pack to frame overload springs, like the 1-ton trucks have, over an anti-sway bar. Add a set of airbags to that and you'd be very happy IMO.

as far as a camper goes, there aren't a lot of them that are very light. Whatever their sticker says, see if you can find an "as built" weight. Almost every sticker weight I've read has been off by a decent amount - plus you throw all your gear, water, food into them etc. Options add up in the camper too. Your truck should list the payload capacity in the glove box - "truck camper loading information". FWIW my K3500 only has a stupidly low slide in camper rating, it's like 2,300 lbs. On a 1-ton. My current camper is abotu 2,500 dry, my old one was closer to 3,800 dry.

Don't forget about a tie-down system. I recommend frame mounts if you can afford them (they will take the stress off the otherwise more common bed mounted solutions).

If you can find one, Bigfoot and Northern Lite made some smaller 1/2ton campers over the years, they were light and built from 2-piece fiberglass shells. They are going to be more worth something though, so may not fit into your budget.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea...gear weight. A 25 gallon water tank, full, is 250lbs! That's just the water!
Add food, clothes, bedding, pots, pans, propane tanks, etc., etc., etc. & the weight adds up pretty darn quick.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
it does. My truck and camper weigh out 12,000 across the scale. if i'm hauling the trailer it's up to almost 16,000.

Don't forget, trailer tongue weight also takes part of your payload.

In all of this, remember your brakes need to be able to stop you. Unlike a travel trailer, your truck's brakes need to stop the extra weight.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it does. My truck and camper weigh out 12,000 across the scale. if i'm hauling the trailer it's up to almost 16,000.

Don't forget, trailer tongue weight also takes part of your payload.

In all of this, remember your brakes need to be able to stop you. Unlike a travel trailer, your truck's brakes need to stop the extra weight.

This is my concern. I'm looking to stay around 1000-1200# dry so I have capacity to add the necessities. There's not many built this light but I'm patient and I like to buy things in the off season. If I have my boat in tow, I can split the extra weight between the 2. Current 16' boat/motor/trailer comes in under 1400# IIRC so I'm thinking down the road in case I upgrade to an 18-19' boat. I may check prices on having a leaf added to the rears as well.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice, much appreciated.

Steve