Troubleshooting Vehicle Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
when you push the horn button you are completing a ground to close the circuit and sound the horn, something is interfering with the ground being connected when you push the horn button. But if the relay clicks with the air bag out and still doesnt sound the horn, what does that tell you?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Also how do you know the fuse is good? sometimes they can appear to look good, but the sure fire way to know is to put a test light on it and check for power, or swap a known good fuse of the same amperage in there and test it.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Yeah new and good fuses. Like I said I can ground the horn with the airbag off and get the clicking noise. But with it on, not even that.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going with what I'm reading and without looking at it, could it be that your airbag unit is hanging up the little metal contacts that ground out?... assuming that model has those flimsy little contacts.

Gatorboy

Reaction score
It has the spring loaded insert that touches the steering shaft with the metal on the back of the airbag module. Maybe the wire is blocking it from getting far enough down to make a good ground. I'll have to check it out.

Gatorboy

Reaction score
It has this style airbag
You must be registered for see images attach

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never had the pleasure of messing with an airbag... most of the cars and trucks I've had were made in the good old days when you just went through the windshield when you crashed... a few even pre-dated seat belts.

Gatorboy

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not used to it either. I went from an '89 to this. It's kinda the same concept. The metal on the back of the airbag grounds to the steering shaft making the horn go off. Well it's supposed to at least

Gatorboy

Reaction score
Alright I ran direct power to the horn closest to the relay center and nothing. So somehow it seems both of my horns are bad...weird. Anyway anyone know the part # for an oem replacement for them. I don't want anything universal

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a junkyard with a 9V battery and some wire and try a few. Take whichever you like and keep one as a spare.