Transmission Rebuild Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I've came to the conclusion that my tranny is toast so I'm exploring my options. The truck is a 97 ecsb 4x4 auto Sierra. It has a body lift now and probably a suspension lift later on down the road. It's my daily driver and it will probably tow a small trailer with ATV's and heating and cooling equipment on it in its lift time. The transmission is pretty much gone so here's what I'm thinking. I'm considering either:

1) buying a rebuilt and upgrades transmission from 1st transmission in midland MI., its about $1000 shipped to my house with a 3 year warranty. Has anyone ever dealt with them before? They don't have a website, I found them by a post on Craigslist and am kind of weary if then because it seems a little hard to believe. Ill post the link at the bottom if the page.

2) buying a rebuild kit and doing it all myself. I have never done this before but I do have a garage and am pretty mechanically inclined.

3) pulling the tranny myself and having a shop around here rebuild it and install it myself/having a buddy rebuild it for $150 and I buy the parts

4) having a shop do it all.

Money is partly an issue and if I could keep it around the $1000 range I would be happy. Can someone recommend me a decent/mild rebuild kit? I'd like for this transmission to be reliable and withstand at least 3-400hp and I really want a decent shift kit. I seem the monster in a box thing and considered it.

What do you guys think/suggest? How hard is this transmission to rebuild? Also I'm in the charleston, WV Area if anyone is local and would be willing to do it or help out for some cash!

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/pts/3449262599.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
i would buy a kit and a book and do it yourself. you will never know how to do it unless you do it yourself, just watch how every piece is took apart. and i stress these few things. first mark your front pump before you take it off, it will be easier for you to find the holes. second there will be 2 assemblies with shafts that has a clutch pack, count them cuz thats how many times it has to go down unless your front pump wont seat right. but hey good luck....you can do it

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was considering that but I'm kind if afraid if messing it up.. I'm leaning towards either having my friends buddy do it or buying that one from 1st transmission and then rebuilding my current one myself. That way I can take my time and maybe make a little money back.

Has anyone heard of them? Or can someone recommend a place that is close to that price range? Most transmissions I've seen are $1000+

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My next door nieghbor is the local tranny guy and has done all of mine he does top notch work and stands behind it all the way. The last 4l60e I had him do was $1200, I dropped the truck off and picked it up 2 days later. His price is actually more if you pull it yourself. He said he learned his lesson long ago and it is just easier and less crap if he does it all himself. He knows it is right when it leaves his shop. IMO I would have some one else do it all, and they warranty the entire job.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's another reason why I was leaning towards the transmission from 1st transmissions. They have a 3 year warranty and chances are I won't even have the truck 3 years from now lol. I'm just a little leery of them because they seem so cheap and it was on Craigslist..

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to be having a shop do it all.. I'm going to buy my own rebuild kit or buy it through them, one of the two. Anyways, I want some sort of heavy duty transmission like stated above. Planning to use the truck for some towing and maybe a little off road fun! I'm looking at either the monster in a box kit from monster transmission performance, or this other kit. Has anyone used these before? If so how is the shifting at wot shifts and part throttle shift?

www.monstertrans.com/store/products...,-Mega-Monster%2dIn%2dA%2dBox:-1993%2d97.html

www.700r4l60e.com/store/catalog/4L60E-Rebuild-Kit-Heavy-Duty-p-37.html

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would let the shop buy it all. The monster in the box are common parts that can be bought from any transmission supply house. Bought separately is $150-$200 less than what they sell if for. Just find a good reputable shop and explain to them what you want in your transmission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little less than 2 grand from jasper.

Ill try and find a reputable supply shop and see what they recommend!

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I called a couple places today. One guy told me $1600 but was real short with me and a little bit of a jackass. I called another guy and he was real nice and talked with me for a little while and told me $1800 for new everything( transmission internals, new convertor, solenoids, everything) plus a shift kit and a 1 year warranty. My mom seemed to think it was a little high but I thought it seemed pretty reasonable? Sound about right for you guys?