Transmission Rebuild Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Three days before Christmas I was driving back home from Ca. when I lost 3rd and 4th gear in my 99 silverado. I sat at a reststop for 6 hours waiting to get picked up. I called a buddy who owns a trans shop here in town he rebuilt it with mods for $900 I got 230k out of that stock trans.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was that with the buddy discount? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I guess $1800 isn't too bad then. The tow truck is coming to get it in the morning so hopefully ill have my truck back my next weekend!

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm back at square 1. Insurance won't cover the towing bill to the shop because the only decent one I could find wasn't local and I'm not paying $300 to have it towed.

Has anyone on here dropped their own transmission before? I'd be doing it in a driveway.. No lifts or transmission jacks lol. I've found all kinds of people who can rebuild it but no one to pull it out for me.. How hard is that to do?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Well I'm back at square 1. Insurance won't cover the towing bill to the shop because the only decent one I could find wasn't local and I'm not paying $300 to have it towed.

Has anyone on here dropped their own transmission before? I'd be doing it in a driveway.. No lifts or transmission jacks lol. I've found all kinds of people who can rebuild it but no one to pull it out for me.. How hard is that to do?

with no jacks.... pretty da gone hard

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have jacks and jack stands. Just no transmission jack. Of course harbor freight sells them but idk for how much...

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
id recommend jasper if you go with a new one, pricey but reliable, my mechanic back where i used to live sells nothing but jasper engines and transmissions when people need them, he installed one in my parents 03 yukon xl that has 220k+ recently and its been great

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I have jacks and jack stands. Just no transmission jack. Of course harbor freight sells them but idk for how much...

We've pulled lots of trannys with no specialized jacks. :lol: I thought you meant NO jacks period!

Not EXZTREMELY hard. Just get the truck on stands, hold the tranny up with a floor jack, undo all the mounting bolts and disconnect the driveshaft and all and bring her down nice and easy...