Transmission Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently changed the transmission oil & filter on my 97 Tahoe. It had a leak before I changed, so I figured it would be a good time to do it anyway. This weekend I noticed the leak again. It looks like its coming from the pan, but not sure yet. This wasn't my first pan gasket replacement, so I'm kind of stumped. Do you all think it might be a bent pan or something like that. Any suggestions? ? ? ? ? ?

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had the same problem on mine.. i thought it was the pan leaking but i replaced the gasket and checked the pan out and it was fine.. so after i change it the leak was back.. then i got curious and started looking arounf and noticed it was actually the front seal leaking.. However when i got the tranny out and tore into it i noticed it was the seals on the pump leaking, in which forced fluid out and caused the front seal to go bad... this has happened on sevral of my chevys so im assuming its a common problem.. its a easy fix though once you get tranny pulled (if this is your problem)

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I haven't taken off the flywheel cover shield to check. I'll have to do that this weekend. I hope it's not that. Barely got some money for my drop kit and now this. Always something.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I haven't taken off the flywheel cover shield to check. I'll have to do that this weekend. I hope it's not that. Barely got some money for my drop kit and now this. Always something.

I feel ya man, im constantly fixing one thing then another happens right after in which creats more down time...

does the truck leak the same when its shut off as it does running? my fluid would run down the shield and come out right on the corners of the pan which is why i though it was the pan at first.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The belly of the pan is what throws me off. Along the edge of the pan gasket and the bottom of the pan is where it looks wet. It doesn't seem like it leaks while it's in idle, but I could be wrong.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about that PRNDL switch on the side? Could there be a leak coming from there?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a lever seal behind that switch... But like others have said the front seal is most common. Always change the pump gasket, pump oring and bushing along with the seal if you pull it. They make a dye that you can put in the fluid if you can't pinpoint it. Will show up under a backlight good.