Transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my tahoe just turned over 145 the other day and well im definatly going to need her a while, so im going to service the transmission.
I want to do a fluid change just to freshen the old girl up. And was wondering if i should just let a shop do it for around 150 (valvoline) or try it myself, mind you ive never done something like this but do have friends who have.

Input would be nice

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I'd say give it a shot. It's a good learning experience and not as hard as you might think.

It's been a while since I've done mine but it only took a few hours with my learning curve to change out the fluid and filter.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really not a bad price once you consider that you'll spend half of the that on just the fluid for a complete system flush/refill, assuming that that is what they'll be doing. If they're just doing a pan drop with filter replacement, then I would say that you could do that for much less money.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I probably should have asked this first. What kind of service did they quote you for? A full flush? Or just a fluid and filter replacement?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I've gone through a lot of fluid changes in my trans. If you are just doing a fluid/filter change, it takes less than two hours. Most of that time is taking off the bolts one by one letting the pan drain more and more until you eventually get the pan off. Scrape the old gasket off, clean off the magnet, pop the old filter off, new one on, bolt pan on, fill with fluid. Easy! Now a flush I know nothing about haha.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
If it's ben a long time since the trans was serviced, don't flush it! That much fresh fluid will wash the varnish off the clutches and whatnot and can cause failure. Dropping the pan and changing the fluid would be the best bet.

Like jdyates posted, it's pretty much that easy. One tip though, you will find the transmission shifter cable mount wraps the shifter under the trans pan lip. Take a large screwdriver and bend it towards the front driveshaft. Just about a half inch. The pan will clear the bracket.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys thanks for all the input. Ill see if my friend with all his tools could put in somee idea whats more cost effective.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never recommend a flush. I am old school I guess. It has a filter...change it! I switched my truck to Mercon V since its synthetic. No issues.