Transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CapnCrunch53

Reaction score
Just some clarification for my noob self, changing the filter and fluid is different than a flush? And if I have a high mileage tranny that may not have been serviced for a long time, it would be OK to change the fluid, but not to get a flush?

Actually asking for my Firebird which has a 700R4, I remember I asked my mechanic if I should get a flush (I didn't/don't know the difference) and he recommended not to for the same reason.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I've flushed many of vehicles... used to work at various dealerships. I have yet to have any issues other than maybe a handful of vehicles. Which... the people came in knowing that the transmission was slipping and wanted to do the flush anyways. Even after the flush some helped some were still . I wouldn't be scared of a flush.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the fluid isn't a pink or red, I'd just recommend changing it by dropping the pan. This way, about 1/3rd of the fluid is new, and can begin to gently clean what the old fluid couldn't, and have much less risk ruining something.

Honestly, you can "flush" your fluid yourself, just disconnect one of the cooling lines, stick a rubber hose on the end and put it in a bucket, then start the car, let it run in park until you see air bubbles, shut it off, add 4 quarts, and rinse and repeat until the fluid is pink again. Usually takes 3-4 cycles.

Now all the fluid is fresh, and you're good to go. I would still recommend replacing the filter. To make it easy, the last time you pump out the fluid, drop the pan before you add the last 3-4 quarts. The pan will be nearly empty, and it'll be a lot less messier. Change the filter, clean the magnet, wipe the pan out, and replace the gasket, re-tighten, and then add the last 4 quarts.

pumpedTSI

Reaction score
Just did this today on my 93 Sierra.......trans fitting with barb into top return line at rad and did the 3 quart pumpout/stop/fill 4 times (12 quarts total) and fluid was nice and pink again......took about 30-45 mins.....I'll run her for a few weeks/month before I pump out pan and change filter and install 3 new quarts.....