Trans slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
the title says it. now I have done my research but i'm more looking for opinions, I'm 80% sure my clutch plates are starting to go.

Today I went to rescue a friend in the ditch, after overcoming a snowplow i nailed it and at about 60kph the rpms shot up, thought i was just on some ice, i let off and the grabbed. then the cel came on, (ive had reoccurring gas cap problems so i never though much of it)
I nailed it again shortly after and it did it again, on clean pavement, so I drove very nicley home.
checked the code and it was a slipping component, dark dark fluid.

i plan to change the fluid a few times over the weekend, anything else i should do? aside from r&r

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lucas transmission fix. And yes I love my snake oil!!!

I honestly dont care for what people say this stuff really works I started using it in my NBS when I first got it and It helped me get 240k out of my trans before it quit on me after years of towing and driving like an idiot. I use all there products in everything I own. Good stuff!!!

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I honestly dont care for what people say this stuff really works I started using it in my NBS when I first got it and It helped me get 240k out of my trans before it quit on me after years of towing and driving like an idiot. I use all there products in everything I own. Good stuff!!!

Me to. I feel the same way

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I know that some opinions go both ways on that stuff but I'll be picking some up tomorrow.
Currently I flushed the fluid (ran the truck and pumped it out the trans cooler fitting on the rad, 4l at a time) It to 20l for it to clear up.
Then I dropped the pan, Pretty streaky, but i'll clean it up, put it back together and get some lucas in it tomorrow, what do you guys reccomend 1 or 2 bottles of lucas?

While i have the pan down is there anything to check? I forgot to mention I dont think I was getting OD during the episode this am, usually happens when it real cold till it warms up, But i was against the wind lugging through drifts in 4x4 doing no more than 45-50mph.

Gonna have some dinner now, if i dont hear anything i'll put it back together and see what happens. (I was driving it before i put it on the hoist and I couldnt get it to act up at all when semi cold.. hoping for just burnt fluid.. its only had a partial fluid change in the 140k kms since the rebuild.

PS, speaking of snake oil.. pathfinder lubricants makes some good stuff, Put 25,000 kms on a 2.4l grand am after I found needles in the oil pan running their oil additive.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Thanks, my magnet is missing.... which is really weird, it must have been removed during the rebuild many kms ago.. i cant see it falling off and getting ground to dust.
I only have a napa filter, I got thier best one, hopefully it is acdelco quality

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I have some real strong magnets here, I dont know if i should stick them to the outside of the pan though.. incase they ever fall off and there is a wave of filings go through the trans

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
so nappa gave me the wrong damn filter. the one i got is much thinner and is not notched for the dip stick tube... dammit

edit: looks like i have a filter for a shallow pan, I'm sure I 'could' run it, but i think i'm gonna drink beer and play video games instead and call napa first thing tomorrow am and hope it on their shelf. and get some lucas too.

Thanks guys. i'll post how i make out tomorrow.

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Sounds good, since your returning g the filter anyway just ask if they have the acdelco, I'm sure the Napa will be fine though. I would definitely put a magnet inside the pan. There should be an etched rectangle in the pan where the magnet goes.
You must be registered for see images attach