trans. leak stals at operating temp, timing? lean? sensor? on my 88 tbi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok first off this is for my 88 k1500 it has a th350 trans. yes it's a th350 I put it in myself, been having a leak, seems to be coming from the side cover on the pass. side, the round cover. I aint sure what it's called but I think it's held on with a snap ring. I wiped the trans clean, started it up and it dripped off there and was wet right under it. How do I fix it? Mainly I need to know it's name so I can look for a gasket for it. Or can I pull it, blue rtv it and reinstall?

Now my up top temp stall....

Ok first off it's a brand new motor, completely rebuilt, new distributor, new cap, rotor, wires(accel), plugs, coil, cam and timing set, as well as basically everything else inside.

Ok I removed the AIR pump, and blocked the tubes going into the manifolds (have headers now) the thing appears to be good to maybe lean on the plugs, new o2 sensor as well. I could never get it to run at zero degrees timing what it calls for, it would run, as far as start and rev fine, but driving it would not run over 40 mph and the motor wasn't revved up. The pedal was to the floor and it wasn't going anywhere, I advance the dist. and it runs great. it has tons of power runs great, can run 75 and climb hills on the highway like nothing. No spark knock or anything.

Thing is, it's always had this thing where when it gets up to temp that when you have it in gear it idles very low. and when turning from a dead stop or going from park to in gear, or reverse to drive or vice versa, it'll die. it'll smell funny like it ran out of gas or really old gas, it won't restart right away, it'll crank normal and try to but won't, then it'll crank slow, like it's dragging. You'll have to let it sit for a minute or two and it'll fire back up and run fine.
It also has this miss or cough out the exhaust, just a lil one, on idle, when it's cold and when up to temp. when it's up to temp. it's rough, truck kinda shakes or rocks. It'll only do it a lil bit like cough, then maybe a minute or so 30 seconds whatever cough again, sometimes it's close together, but it's not constant, and never misses once you touch the gas, anytime.

I was told that was a lean pop, caused by me advancing the timing. Now yesterday it done the stall, and I tried to advance the timing more while it was hot, shut it down, unhooked the timing connector, refire, advance, shut down, plug in, refire, it misses more, and right together or coughs alot, throw it in gear, imediately dies. So I backed the timing off some, haven't drove it to see if it lost power, but it starts and everything fine, and it does still cough a lil, maybe less then before, and it doesn't try to die going from gear to gear ot turning, at least not sitting still in the yard.

Now I was told to unplug the collant temp sensor and it would richen it up and maybe stop this, well I tried that, when I have the truck off and it unplugged, it won't start. AT ALL, so I plug it back in and it's really hard to start, have to hit the pedal when it trys, and feather it, when it does start it puffs gas smoke out, and acts like it flooded. Thing is, is that normal? Should it do that? or is the temp sensor bad? Could it be another sensor bad? What should I do or try to maybe see if I can get it to run as it should at zero, or at least to not stall on me if it still does? I think the timing may work, but if I lost power I'll want it back LOL.

Fuel pressure is good, haven't checked it when it's up to temp though, but normally it's 12-13 psi. on start and idle. Checked at the fuel filter.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check your sparkplugs dude, sounds like its running rich to me. but the plugs never lie! go from there, if they are fowelled out then you atleast know its rich, if not then you know its lean and you can look into other areas that would cause the problem.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking that passenger side cover with a snap ring would be your servo and it sounds like it not seated properly or needs a new gasket .

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what i thought but wasn't sure if it's a servo or not on a th350.

As for plugs they aint fouled out they look good, the tips are whiteish grey, and so is most of the plug below the threads, only slightly black if any. I don't think it runs rich at all. I just had all my plugs out to do the headers, and they were all the same and were tanish or grey, kinda white, not all black like they usually get when ones running rich or fouling out.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so it sounds way lean. they should be a brownish color. you added your headers ( if its anything like a bike ) you need to add a touch more fuel. its sounds like it was already lean, so with the add on of headers it could have made the difference to lean even more.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
possible but there was no difference between the way it ran/stalled with manifolds compared to the headers. I tried to unplug the collant temp sensor as some said to richen it up, HA, yea my truck wouldn't even start, and with it plugged back in took forever to start and then it had smoke roll out. I don't know what's wrong with it, I been thinking it needs more fuel but have no idea on what to change to help it out other then a higher pressure tbi spring for the regualtor maybe. Not unless it's a sensor bad, my fuel presure is good as mentioned it runs around 12-13 psi on start up ad running. I tested it before when it was up close to temp or at temp and it was the same.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well. there are ways to add more fuel with a tbi from what i have read besides a spring change. but if you have not done anything to it to need more fuel its probly a problem with something else. adding more fuel from the tbi might work, but it seems like there is something else causing the problem. you said you have messed with the timing. is it possible a spark plug wire is in the wrong place? or maybe the dist. isnt in the right spot?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
shouldn't be. I dropped it when I replaced the dist. which was right after getting the motor put in after the rebuild, and I had no. 1 up to tdc on the balancer and it had blown my finger off and was at the top by a screwdriver in the spark plug hole. As for a wire off, nope, just redid them the other day, was right before and is right now.

I still aint drove the thing lol after backing the timing off. I been working on stripping the rims and polishing the centers, gonna polish the wheels soon.

I do appreciate the help, sounds like you are like me, having a hard time trying to figure out what the heck it would be. It almost has to be something very simple and stupid that's been overlooked, or something very wrong, like a computer, I sure hope not.

If it messes with me I'll ditch tbi and go carb'd and be done with it.