Trailering a CCLB dually/ curb weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lma47940

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what a crew cab long bed dually weighs. I'm needing to trailer my truck home as the brakes have went out, and I'm needing to see if my half ton can do the job. It's needs to make a 20 mile ride.

Lma47940

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, that makes my decision a lot easier as that would be 9k+ with trailer. A bit much for a 95 c1500. Time to get ahold of a larger truck I guess.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From personal experience, after about 50 MPH, the trailer will start driving the truck. I've driven semi's, concrete trucks and wreckers for a living, so I understand how to load a trailer correctly, my OBS cclbd was just too much for a NBS Tahoe to pull safely.
Borrow or rent something more capable.

Lma47940

Reaction score
I've got a buddy with an 88 5 speed eclb dually that I may have to dust the cob webs off of. I've got the 14k 25' trailer but the truck that pulls it is the one I'm needing to put on it. :33:
What I don't understand is how the newer 1/2 tons are rated to pull 4k-5k more than the gmt400s/800s.

Last edited:

Mr Eric

Reaction score
20 miles. No traffic, no mountains, no freeway. Slow going would get it done, but a bigger truck with an appropriate size trailer would be involve no white knuckles.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a buddy with an 88 5 speed eclb dually that I may have to dust the cob webs off of. I've got the 14k 25' trailer but the truck that pulls it is the one I'm needing to put on it. :33:
What I don't understand is how the newer 1/2 tons are rated to pull 4k-5k more than the gmt400s/800s.

Well, they are like 20-30 years newer! Stiffer frames, larger brakes, transmissions with more gears, more powerful engines, better software to analyze everything better before testing/manufacturing, more experience....etc.

That's a question that comes up quite often actually. I've stated before I'm no mechanical engineer, but do have "some" basic technical background in engineering. Those are "my" general observations.

I think what you are asking in how are the newer 1500s rated to tow more than the older 2500/3500, right? I personally think that the marketing department of the manufacturers are driving the boat, with the towing wars that everyone is fighting. They are pushing the envelope more, whereas ratings I think were more conservative in the past. The general modern consensus is tow something like 75% of your rating if you are towing daily!

But the short answer is technology is better. Apples to apples comparison.