Towing In OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fleeingpepper

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's considered awful to tow in OD, yeah, but I've done it before. I'll downshift it when I get to hills or if it hunts.
But I have a two door Tahoe..which is like 1000 pounds lighter than one with four doors, and a whole lot lighter than a suburban. All three of those have a 4l60e. If I'm towing something that's say 1000 pounds, wouldn't that be putting the same stress on the tranny as just driving a four door Tahoe around with a 4l60e? So what's the problem with towing in OD on that?

Reaction score
I agree with you on that. Depending on what I was towing and the weight of it helped me decide if to run in o/d or not. I towed my camper in o/d it weighs 1000-1200lbs but with my work trailer which is 2300lbs empty I never put in o/d. I guess it all depends on your trailering situation. Weight, speed, hills, and more.

The Daver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont do much towing but Im just curious as to why towing in OD would be a bad thing?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thing is with all that torque and deep gearing a weak servo or worn bands will let the bands burn even more. If you are coasting or not using too much throttle go for 4 if not then stick to 3.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
depends on wieght and the route i am travelling. loaded trailer with hills i never go into o/d. long highway travel i use it.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
depends on wieght and the route i am travelling. loaded trailer with hills i never go into o/d. long highway travel i use it.

i agree with this... when i tow/haul my 4wheelers, i use O/D, but when i am pulling a vehicle on a trailor, i dont even think of touching od...

tomcat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
make sure you get a big trans cooler , the stock one is not up to the job . keep the temps down.

i building a truck just to do this , tow in OD

plenty of torque , over built cooling system .

get the trans rebuilt and updated to HD parts .

a local shop here does great work for fair price .

then ill add a TQ converter built for towing with a heavy duty lock-up clutch, i have already talked to converter builder FTI they build some of the best stuff i have seen.