Totally lost ---- have searched and searched and can't figure out my miss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your idle air control solenoid in spec? Your idle is directly controlled by the IAC from the computer. If the IAC is good then your O2 sensor is lying to the PCM. Look on YouTube how to check your O2 sensor with a digital meter. Or just replace it. Use a delphi or a.c. delco. I USE to think the PCM will tell you when the O2 goes bad... not always true. Drive-ability can be greatly effected without throwing a code OBD1 or OBD2. Make sure to inspect the O2 wiring too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and purchased a ignition control module, new cap and new rotor while I was at it in hopes of it fixing it but it didn't. I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and didn't pick up anything.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your idle air control solenoid in spec? Your idle is directly controlled by the IAC from the computer. If the IAC is good then your O2 sensor is lying to the PCM. Look on YouTube how to check your O2 sensor with a digital meter. Or just replace it. Use a delphi or a.c. delco. I USE to think the PCM will tell you when the O2 goes bad... not always true. Drive-ability can be greatly effected without throwing a code OBD1 or OBD2. Make sure to inspect the O2 wiring too.

I'm assuming that it's good. I removed a throttle body and all sensors from a known great running truck to install on mine and it did not help.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Are you saying my 02 sensor could cause the miss ?

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not a fan of swapping parts but since they are different it stands to reason to look elsewhere. I found a pretty good article that may help.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/miss_diagnosis.htm

Plugging all your vacuum ports will be a pain but you need to eliminate that completely. The brake booster would cause it not to idle. Happy hunting.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One additional note, if the miss is random its more likely a vacuum leak. If the miss sounds consistent then you could deduce a problem with a specific cylinder. I assume its dying too quick to tell.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i can find no vac leak anywhere. tried propane and tried pulling and plugging each vac line as mentioned by another member.

now that its getting warmer outside the truck is running worse at stop lights and sometimes feels like it wants to die.. when it was 0* outside it would only cut out at stop lights once or twice then when i drive it was perfect. Now that its about 40* here it cuts out really bad and wants to die at stop lights but still when you drive its okay and back to normal.

Last edited:

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the mixture is too rich. Warmer air is less dense with oxygen so a rich mixture runs better in cold air. There is an art to back pinning your oxygen sensor and reading the results on a DIGITAL volt meter. Remember, with every pulse of exhaust it creates a small amount of voltage. I usually see an average peak of .8 volts. (Give or take a tenth) if the peaks are averaging .6 then the sensor it telling the PCM its lean thus the PCM is making it richer. .6 = get a new O2 sensor

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
See if youtube demonstrates how to read your O2 sensor. This is easy on OBD2 on my truck I just plug in the code reader and it will graph the pulses and show voltage reading.