Tools needed for my 95 c3500hd 7.4L dually?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooreATL

Reaction score
Hello GMT400! I am a new truck owner (GMC Sierra C3500HD 454 7.4L with 5 speed manual.. nv4500?, Flat hydraulic dump bed), and I have no idea what tools I will need to work on my truck besides the oil filter wrench band thingy (from basic maintenance to replacing/upgrading parts).

I do have a small collection from working on my 8th gen civic (2 sockets do most of the work), and from my experience tools are really expensive as an unplanned purchase.

I was hoping this community could help me with a list of tools to purchase so I can avoid the mechanics labor charges on a large portion of the work I will wind up doing so I can budget them in ahead of time.

I know I will be replacing any/all fluids/fiters, and eventually the air filter intake, fuel pump (and line likely), and gaskets/seals.

Although this truck is new to me and I'm not a certified mechanic, I am capable of doing anything that saves hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Presently I have various size socket wrenches, a Milwaukee impact drill, a light duty socket torque wrench, and a lot of tools for electrical work (formerlya wireman).

So, what are the main tools, cans of XYZ, and other miscellaneous items (things to use for old rusty bolts) that I should definitely have to work on this truck? Are any tools/sizes used on the majority of this truck like on my civic?

Links to recommend socket sets are more than welcome!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You'll need metric and SAE. This is kind of a hard question for me to answer since I don't have tools just for my truck.
Same. I've been wrenching as a hobby (and sometimes for pay) going on 36 years now? even longer if you wanna count building bicycles out of junk using my Pawpaw's tools. The collection of tools I've got is way more than one would need to work on a single type of vehicle, although probably safe to say the bulk of wrenching I've done has been on this generation of trucks.

Needing a decent assortment of metric and SAE is annoying but a fact of life with GM's of this era.

Anywhere you see a drain plug with a square head, do yourself a huge favor and get a square socket for it. Don't be tempted to use your socket extensions. They "fit" but not correctly and can round out the plug which ain't fun.

If you have a job that requires using your impact, invest in impact sockets. Regular chrome sockets used with the impact can crack/shatter and that can be really unhealthy for anyone in the immediate area.

That NV4500 transmission requires a specific lubricant although it's been discontinued / superseded / turned into fairy farts at this point; there's discussion over in the transmission section about it at the moment. There are substitute fluids that some have had success with. It's an area where you'll want to tread carefully and learn all you can before putting anything in that transmission.

These heavy duty trucks have a brake booster that is hydraulically assisted via the power steering pump, instead of vacuum like lighter vehicles. It's important to be sure the power steering system is in good shape. You'll notice a lot of hoses between the pump, steering gearbox, and brake booster unit. Any leaks you'll want to address quickly, and be sure you use actual power steering fluid (not transmission fluid) in the pump and bleed it correctly before you drive the truck again.

There are factory service manuals scanned in and available for free download here on the forums. They'll include 3500HD-specific information including procedures, fastener torque specifications, and any special tools required for a particular job. Hint: just because the manual says you need special tool J-thisorthat, doesn't always make it true. Anyway download the 1995 manual so you'll have it handy.

Richard

mooreATL

Reaction score
Same. I've been wrenching as a hobby (and sometimes for pay) going on 36 years now? even longer if you wanna count building bicycles out of junk using my Pawpaw's tools. The collection of tools I've got is way more than one would need to work on a single type of vehicle, although probably safe to say the bulk of wrenching I've done has been on this generation of trucks.

Needing a decent assortment of metric and SAE is annoying but a fact of life with GM's of this era.

Anywhere you see a drain plug with a square head, do yourself a huge favor and get a square socket for it. Don't be tempted to use your socket extensions. They "fit" but not correctly and can round out the plug which ain't fun.

If you have a job that requires using your impact, invest in impact sockets. Regular chrome sockets used with the impact can crack/shatter and that can be really unhealthy for anyone in the immediate area.

That NV4500 transmission requires a specific lubricant although it's been discontinued / superseded / turned into fairy farts at this point; there's discussion over in the transmission section about it at the moment. There are substitute fluids that some have had success with. It's an area where you'll want to tread carefully and learn all you can before putting anything in that transmission.

These heavy duty trucks have a brake booster that is hydraulically assisted via the power steering pump, instead of vacuum like lighter vehicles. It's important to be sure the power steering system is in good shape. You'll notice a lot of hoses between the pump, steering gearbox, and brake booster unit. Any leaks you'll want to address quickly, and be sure you use actual power steering fluid (not transmission fluid) in the pump and bleed it correctly before you drive the truck again.

There are factory service manuals scanned in and available for free download here on the forums. They'll include 3500HD-specific information including procedures, fastener torque specifications, and any special tools required for a particular job. Hint: just because the manual says you need special tool J-thisorthat, doesn't always make it true. Anyway download the 1995 manual so you'll have it handy.

Richard
I downloaded the manual yesterday, and it was slightly overwhelming shifting through it since it has a lot of information not pertaining to my truck, but I plan on cropping the pdf to what applies to me within the week.

When it comes to square heads, will the 8 point double square sockets do well? Also, thanks for advising me on getting impact specific sockets as well, the last thing i need is metal accessories in my eyes .

Outside of a large range of sockets, what hand tools do you find yourself using often, or not so often while working on your trucks?

I realize a lot of people are like yall and have been doing this for years. As someone in their 30s, who didn't have people while growing up to teach them, this sort of basic information could be very useful. Hell, I i learned how to change a tire on the fly out of necessity at 17 (also learned to not jack the car up on anything that isn't the frame ).

If you look around the USA you may notice an EXTREME lack of skilled labor in every sector including mechanics between the ages of 18-38ish years old. The majority of my generation never developed the skills our grandfather's did, and many of us are having to learn from the Internet the skills that skipped a generation to save $. I suspect this will be a trend over the next decade as the economy changes, but I don't want to get into an economic discussion on the GMT400 forums.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I didn't notice this was an HD question until Richard responded. Maybe make sure you've got a breaker bar, extension and proper size socket for the lug nuts handy? My 1-ton is not an HD, but I never use the factory lug wrench anymore. I don't want to have to fight with those lug nuts, and the HD stuff is even bigger.

Working on vehicles, over the years, I used to buy additional tools as the need came up. I don't have to do that as much anymore. Don't forget about the parts store loaner programs!

How about plenty of diffenet length extensions, and a set of wobble extensions? Often times I'll find that I need a specific length extenion for clearance issues. The wobble extensions are handy when you can't quite get a direct shot at a nut/bolt.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walmart has a HART 270 something piece set with wrenches, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive an some impact sockets in sae/metric for like $170. I've been really considering one just to use as an emergency roadside type kit since it had a decent case an everything.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hardly know where to start.

In the 1980s or earlier, a person in your position would watch the weekly Sears advertising supplements, until a medium-large Craftsman tool set was on sale, and then buy it. Then wait until the Craftsman Metric add-on set was promoted, and buy that. And somewhere along the line, they'd have a decent-sized Craftsman tool box for sale at a discount. Craftsman was Professional- (Apprentice-) grade tools, FABULOUS value, wonderful warranty. Tools themselves varied between "Really OK" and "Great", with the "Great" stuff generally not being part of the heavily-discounted sets.

Craftsman has become "Crapsman". Offshored, reduced-quality, specializing in useless junk "gimmick" tools that go on sale for Christmas and Father's day, when people are tired of giving Dad cologne.

I decided years ago to buy a large, wheeled tool cabinet, rather than a small, wheeled cabinet, and stack intermediate- and top-chests onto the small wheeled cabinet. That way I have enough storage, but also a usable-height work surface. I don't need a step-ladder to see into the top of my tool chest.

Hit the pawn shops, rummage and estate sales, eBay and Craigslist. Buy USED, MADE IN AMERICA (or Canada) tools instead of brand-new Communist Crap. If you're built like me (on the smaller side) pay extra for long-pattern wrenches, and long-handled ratchets. The extra leverage is most useful. But then, you may ALSO need to buy extra-short wrenches and ratchets due to tight working clearance, later.

GOOD screwdrivers (and tools in general) are an investment. Cheap screwdrivers are disposable. Choose wisely. A good compromise--for most uses--is a good-quality ratcheting screwdriver handle and shaft, and interchangeable/inexpensive straight, Phillips, hex, Torx and other specialty bits. One of the (small) ratchets you buy should be specifically for those 1/4" shank bits, for when you need more leverage than a screwdriver can provide.

If you're in a Hazzard Fraught store, you're probably buying "disposable" "Tool-Shaped Objects", although I've heard they've made some improvements.

You'll need 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive, and 1/2" drive ratchets, various extensions, U-joints, and sockets. I'm heaviest on 3/8" drive, but with a good selection of 1/4" and 1/2" as well. I have little in 3/4" drive, and I have to be really angry to use it.

IN GENERAL, and with exceptions, any hand-powered wrench or socket for hex nuts and bolts should be 6-point for any size smaller than 1/2" or 12mm. 12-point makes sense for sizes larger than 5/8 or 16mm, and you need both for the sizes in-between (1/2--5/8, and 12--16mm). Impact sockets are nearly always 6-point. I don't think I own a 12-point impact socket.

Flare-nut wrenches are used on...well...flare nuts. Flare nuts are what connect brake tubing, and some fuel tubing; and various other hydraulic/pneumatic plumbing. Cheap tools will spread open and wreck the flare nut. Snap-On is "the" company to buy from for flare-nut wrenches and crowfeet. SK has done well in some testing. Most flare-nut tools are a potential disaster. Even the "good" tools need considerable care and experience when used with rusty/seized flare nuts.

You WILL need a multimeter, and it will need to have a dwell meter or duty-cycle position. Miliamps to ~10 amperes, higher is better. Milivolts to as many volts as you can get. Ohmmeter capable of measuring and displaying down to one-half ohm, lower is better; and into the megohm range. Capacitance testing is a bonus. Battery testing (AAA--D cell, maybe some "button" batteries) is a bonus, but not for automotive use.

Timing light. Dial-back ("advance") is nice, not absolutely essential. Pretty much any timing light you pick up at a pawn shop should be fine, IF it works properly.

75 ft/lb or 100 ft/lb 3/8" torque wrench, plus a 50--250 1/2" drive torque wrench. Don't buy junk. And don't buy "electronic" torque wrenches, as they cost extra to re-calibrate.

Vacuum gauge/low-pressure fuel pressure gauge (the fuel pressure part will be useless to you, but they're often sold as a vacuum/pressure gauge)

Get a spark-tester that's suitable for HEI. You want one with an actual spark gap, DO NOT buy one that flashes a stupid light-bulb.

You'll need some kind of "12 volt" test light. Mine has a regular incandescent light bulb which works well for some stuff, and not at all for other things, especially related to electronic (as opposed to "electric") devices. A "computer safe" test light with LED bulbs (red and green, typically) is what I should get. A self-coiling cord with a proper alligator clip on the end is very recommended.

You need to research the "Tool Truck" tool brands, so you can recognize high-quality stuff at the rummage sale or Craigslist. Tool-trucks rarely sell junk, but they're hatefully expensive when new, and often "high" priced used. Identical quality tools can be purchased under different brand names--and sometimes made with different-color plastic boxes or different-shaped handles on the ratchets--from the same companies that supply the "Tool Truck" brand names. Beware "knockoffs", cheap-junk imported tools designed and presented to "look" just like the big-name originals. Lang, Mayhew, Mastercool, Wilde, Lisle, Thexton, Trusty-Cook, and others make some of the things that get branded with the Tool Truck logos, but are available under their own name for less money from Amazon or perhaps from www.harryepstein.com. Another good tool source selling closeout/distressed merchandise is https://www.cripedistributing.com/

Snap-On is the King of the Tool Trucks. They actually make a large proportion of their stuff, the bought-in tools are often sold under their "companion"* brand "Blue Point" rather than Snap-On. The Snap-On company owns a lot of other tool companies that supply "custom" stuff to Snap-On, but sell very similar stuff directly and at lower prices. Snap-On owns Williams, an "industrial"** brand which has a Taiwan line and a USA line, and the USA stuff is very good at less than Snap-On pricing.

Mac Tools is often supplied by Proto, another "industrial" brand--both companies are owned by Stanley Black 'n' Decker.

Matco Tools buys-in almost their entire line. They "make" some tool boxes, and source everything else from a variety of suppliers.

Cornwell Tools also buys-in almost their entire line. They do make some stuff, on the expensive end of the range. They own a tool-box manufacturer, having bought-out Kennedy. The bulk of Cornwell sales is product sourced from outside suppliers.

Wright is an "industrial" tool company, family-owned and mostly USA-made. They don't sell from "the Truck", and they're not bargain-basement priced, but not as high as Snappy or Mac or the other Truck brands. Their wrenches are exceptional, (if not as long as I'd prefer) and everything else is "only" really good. Their focus is NOT on auto repair, so they have little or nothing for specialty tools for automobile work. But wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, ratchets...all the "universal" stuff is top-notch.

SK used to be a fantastic, USA tool company. The company goes back about a hundred years. They got sold to the Communist Chinese a couple of years ago, and went straight to hell. USED SK is great. New SK is a total crapshoot--some OK, some direct from China.

You will need a scan tool. There's a multitude of devices, including laptop-computer-plus-software-and-adapter cord, to "dongles" and smart-phones, to cheap-junk "consumer grade" tools, to genuine pro-level standalone scan tools. Too much to cover here, and I have zero experience with anything but a couple of Snap-On Pro-level tools.

Doesn't matter how much you've invested in tools. You WILL run into situations where you need something "special". Sometimes you have to buy what you need, sometimes you have to fabricate what you need. Don't overlook the "loaner tool" program at various automotive parts stores. All sorts of specialty equipment can be "bought" and then returned for a full refund.

* "Companion" brands are lower-cost alternatives sold by some of the Truck brands. Snap-On has the companion brand Blue-Point. Mac has their less-expensive "Advantage" line. Matco sells "Silver Eagle". The companion brands tend to be imported, lower- but still decent-quality, and generally equivalent to what you can get at NAPA in the Carlyle line, or through other generally-imported Taiwanese or Japanese brand names. One of the earliest "Companion" brands was an alternative to Sears Craftsman--the Sears Companion brand name.

** "Industrial" brands are companies that sell a range of tools to non-automotive end users--from mining and oil, to hotel maintenance. They don't have automotive specialty tools, but they would have wonderful wrenches, ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, pry-bars, and so forth; and perhaps into truly-huge size ranges that would make your eyes pop. Because they're not sold off the "truck", the prices are high but not crazy-high like the Trucks. Several of the "truck" brands also have an associated "Industrial" brand with more-rational pricing.

Tool companies get bought and sold, discontinued, bankrupt, offshored. This graphic is out of date--lotsa changes since this was put together. I'm not posting it because it's accurate, I'm posting it to show that one company owns multiple other companies, some of the names you'll recognize and some you won't.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mooreATL

Reaction score
I didn't notice this was an HD question until Richard responded. Maybe make sure you've got a breaker bar, extension and proper size socket for the lug nuts handy? My 1-ton is not an HD, but I never use the factory lug wrench anymore. I don't want to have to fight with those lug nuts, and the HD stuff is even bigger.

Working on vehicles, over the years, I used to buy additional tools as the need came up. I don't have to do that as much anymore. Don't forget about the parts store loaner programs!

How about plenty of diffenet length extensions, and a set of wobble extensions? Often times I'll find that I need a specific length extenion for clearance issues. The wobble extensions are handy when you can't quite get a direct shot at a nut/bolt.
Silly question, is a breaker bar a "cheater bar"?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Silly question, is a breaker bar a "cheater bar"?
Yes, just a different name.
I second the opinions of others on tool brands, and how quality is not what it used to be! I inherited my dad's collection of mainly Craftsman and Challenger hand tools, from the 70s and 80s when that stuff was American made. Some of the modern Craftsman tools available at Lowe's are still American made, but you have to look closely at them. The Taiwan stuff is generally better than the China stuff.
I also have a Metabo cordless impact gun, 1/2" drive, that I keep in the behind the seat storage in my one ton crew cab. I am also getting to learn things as an 8 lug truck owner/mechanic!
Most of the engine stuff on my 350s can be handled with 8mm to 15mm sockets and wrenches, but the larger sizes are necessary for some engine things and most chassis service.
I agree with hunting for tools at the local pawn shops.... I have two older cousins who built a lot of their tool collection up this way in the 70s. Flea markets and automotive swap meets are good for this too. In the Houston, Texas area where I live, there are usually several guys selling used tools at the meets and shows.
For tools I don't use a lot, like the Vortec fan clutch tools, I have some imported pieces from Northern Tool. Their imported tools seem to be made better than the harbor freight ones.