Took 70+ years but I have learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 502HO looks like 8.75:1, 118cc iron rect ports, 510/540 lift on 211/230 cam. I'd say more cam. 236+ int at .050 at least since its already a roller cam, if the springs can handle it. Other than that, slap on smaller chamber alum heads. You should be able to get 550-600 HP with more cam and more rpm NA giving up some tq down low under 3000. They put in a lot of lift and duration on a low comp engine, enginemasters did a whole episode on that, adv/retarding the cam on low compression to see if it could make more power, and low compression is low compression, adding a couple hp can't overcome simple physics.

Low compression doesn't mean good for boost either. Sure, it can handle it, just isn't going to be more powerful than a higher comp 10:1 etc. Bump the compression up and add boost = even more power but you'll want serious fuel supply and engine mgmt when going boosted. No one ever said, yup 5psi all I need. No, they go more pulleys/gatesprings until 30psi+

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, Iil take it under advisement. The only point was that I guess we always want more than we did huh.
Im pretty happy with the out come and yes it would take further improvements behind it to handle more power, shes a little loose off a dig as it sits.
Like TBI said that rabbit hole is hard to crawl out of, at my age anyhow :)

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You already have more than 90% of people out there. Clean truck. Enjoy it as is and stop worrying about what could of been. 40hp? I doubt it will make any difference in that combo as far as feel/drive