Timing marks??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the timing marks on a Vortec , 350, timing chain cover, which doesn't have the #'s 0, 2, 4, etc, be the same position as a 92 350 block? Done a swap with the Vortec, TBI, GMPP intake. Voretc motor was, according to numbers, built in late 99. Did not change the cover, old sensor in, to plug the hole

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 5.7L has the timing marks "straight down", a real pain in the ass to shine the timing light and still have enough room to see the pointer and damper.

I'm thinking the Vortec 5.7L engines have the timing mark off to the side--about 13 degrees over from "straight down", but I'll have to dig out my spare parts to be sure.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never used a timing light on a Vortec, because they're timed by the PCM. I have my doubts that the plastic timing cover will be accurate in a TBI application, but try it anyway. The worst thing it'll do is spark knock. Then the ECM will pull timing out electronically.

Or better yet, time it the old fashioned power brake method, then verify the degrees with the light.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Vortec 5.7L engines have the timing mark off to the side--about 13 degrees over from "straight down", but I'll have to dig out my spare parts to be sure.
I have a couple balancers in my shop right now, a 6.5" and an 8", and I noticed the timing marks are in different places. The 6.5" came off a Caprice (267?). I thought the 8" was off a Vortec, but the snout is the same length as the 6.5". I'll try and sort it out and get some pics.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time, torsional dampers for SBC could have one of two timing-mark locations relative to the hub keyway.

One of them was the "good ol' style" used from 1955-onward, and the other was--I think--13 degrees different. There's been several styles of damper, and several diameters--but the ANGLE of the timing mark in relation to the keyway had two possibilities.

I have since lost track of any further changes that may or may not have occurred.

Note that I am not talking about dampers that have a "wide" timing mark very close to a "narrow" timing mark. The "wide" mark should be 9.5 degrees away from the "Narrow" mark. The "wide" mark is for use with a MAGNETIC timing device that's poked into the round "tube" that's part of the timing cover/timing indicator. The narrow mark is for use with an ordinary timing light.

The magnetic timing devices were popular for about fifteen minutes. GM had their "special tool" with the magnetic probe and such, Snap-On had the "Lumy/Mag" which could be used on diesels and spark ignition. Far as I know, NOBODY else made magnetic timing equipment.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing mark on damper to suit timing pointer on cover. The tube by the copyright symbol is what holds the magnetic probe for the magnetic timing device pictured above.

Timing covers: TBI (left) and Vortec (right)