Timing mark unreadable.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the whole problem is that you can't find a "running" TBI engine.

Thus the encouragement to BUILD a "running" TBI engine using a minimum of purchased parts, substituting extra labor for new 'n' shiny.

I can "find" plenty. The sellers never reply when I inquire.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They probably are. But so are the AC Delco’s……..
Although GM sold Delphi years ago, they are still an OEM supplier to GM. For all I know AC Delco pumps may be relabeled Delphi….or vice versa…
i was a big advocate of acdelco pumps for a long time. have recently been trying Bosch which has been a mix of usa (i assume old stock) and south america. I fix a wide variety of stuff, so not just gm/gmt400 Platform. currently helping a friend get a 94 dodge caravan up to s-nuff for daily driver duties as he is tired of the problems with newer cars. Bosch sending unit with new pump was made in usa. I put 3 fuel pump modules in a buddies cherokee last year. 2 were delphi. one made low pressure after a week and the other would drain back shortly after shutdown making next morning starts hard. put a Bosch unit in and has been trouble free the last year.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe so. What I do know, however, is that this particular pump has a Limited Lifetime warranty. That means that I get a free one when this fails in 6 months.
Changing the fuel filter every 15k will ensure the AC Delco or Delphi pump will still be operating when rest of the truck is a pile of dust….

I don’t have a clue what the warranties on the Delphi’s in my 96 truck, 96 van, and 02 van are, but once I learned the importance of changing fuel filters often and frequently I have never had to change a fuel pump. And because I own four 1st gen Vortec powered trucks and vans, a 3rd gen Vortec, and GM turbo diesel, this causes me great joy…..

My 97, 01, and 06 trucks all have the original AC Delco pumps on them with around 400k miles combined. We can safely assume the warranties expired a long time ago.
My 96, 96, and 02 Delphi’s have around 300k miles combined.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was a big advocate of acdelco pumps for a long time. have recently been trying Bosch which has been a mix of usa (i assume old stock) and south america. I fix a wide variety of stuff, so not just gm/gmt400 Platform. currently helping a friend get a 94 dodge caravan up to s-nuff for daily driver duties as he is tired of the problems with newer cars. Bosch sending unit with new pump was made in usa. I put 3 fuel pump modules in a buddies cherokee last year. 2 were delphi. one made low pressure after a week and the other would drain back shortly after shutdown making next morning starts hard. put a Bosch unit in and has been trouble free the last year.

There was a time when the Bosch's weren't very good, I've been told they have improved.....

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to say my experience with Delphi's are limited to the TBI HP1000 and Vortec HP1001 complete pump assemblies, I can't speak for the parts kits and other makes of vehicles.

I just checked prices for the pump assemblies on RockAuto....YOWSERS!!! $147 and $187 respectively.

That does it, I'm stocking up on more fuel filters............!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to say my experience with Delphi's are limited to the TBI HP1000 and Vortec HP1001 complete pump assemblies, I can't speak for the parts kits and other makes of vehicles.

I just checked prices for the pump assemblies on RockAuto....YOWSERS!!! $147 and $187 respectively.

That does it, I'm stocking up on more fuel filters............!
I'm very happy to read that I'm not the only one who thinks that those are outrageous prices for what they are.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I'm going to continue this thread just a little. I found and purchased a low mileage 5.7L TBI. It spins free by hand and it's complete from air cleaner to oil pan.

I have a few of my own things I want to do to it before it gets dropped between the fenders. Plus, I've read that I'll need the V8 engine mounts and the 5.7L specific clutch kit. That's fine with me. I enjoy feeding the scrap man.

Hell, one time I cut up full short bed with a sawzall and set it out front for the scrappers. It was GONE in less than an hour. Now that I think of it, I've done that twice now.