Timing mark unreadable.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya 4 measurements, tough stuff

Mkay smarty pants. Find me a conversion joint. I don't do numbers.

End cap diameter is 1.125 and 1.188

C-clips are external. Don't know the width off the top of my head, but I can get it.

If you do manage to find said conversion joint, good on ya. It won't change my decision to change out the yoke.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW, my apologies! I didn't actually bother to click the link last time. I just read through it and recognized the URL as somewhere I've already tried w/out success.

You DID actually find the correct conversion U-joint o_O. Know what, I'm going to order it, and save myself a lot of headaches. Then, when that U-joint prematurely fails (due to my lead foot), I'll rebuild the rear with the correct pinion yoke.

Again, @tayto, sorry and I owe you one.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i spend money when I need to, but if your yoke is good the conversion ujoint is the way to go. you can probably take that dana/spicer # and get it on rockauto FWIW.....
ps: make sure the snap rings will work. the gm side has inners and the other has outers. dont know what yours has, but cap diameter wise that's the one thay came up. I would honestly goto a driveline shop im sure they could have you sorted out in a few minutes

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i spend money when I need to, but if your yoke is good the conversion ujoint is the way to go. you can probably take that dana/spicer # and get it on rockauto FWIW.....
ps: make sure the snap rings will work. the gm side has inners and the other has outers. dont know what yours has, but cap diameter wise that's the one thay came up. I would honestly goto a driveline shop im sure they could have you sorted out in a few minutes
The one in the link you posted is correct. The only difference being the end cap diameter from what I have now.

So, again, I'll have this conversion joint fix my POS up for now. Then, when my lead foot finally destroys the rear end, I'll put the correct yoke/u-joint in there.

On a side note, WHY is it so hard to find a good used non-vortec SBC? No one has been replying, and those that do are selling rebuildable cores.

I'm running out of time here to get this done......

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHY is it so hard to find a good used non-vortec SBC? No one has been replying, and those that do are selling rebuildable cores.
Because non-Vortec SBCs are ancient, and therefore worn-out.

The Vortec 5.7L began for the '96 model year, in late '95. That means non-Vortec 5.7L engines are now 26 or 27 model years old by now; not counting low-volume special builds, export models, and crate/service replacement engines.

Even before the Vortec truck engines in '96, the cars had already switched to the semi-non-compatible LT-series with the goofy cooling systems and front-mounted distributors.

I'm not surprised you're having trouble finding a "good, usable" pre-Vortec SBC; in fact I'm somewhat surprised that there's still a reasonable supply of "rebuildable cores" rather than totally-clapped-out junk. Thank God for feedback fuel injection, and overdrive transmissions.

In 1982, for example, a 26+ year old engine would have been made in or before 1956, it'd have a cylinder top ridge so huge that it'd break the rings when you pounded the pistons out. Be lucky to save the main castings.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note, WHY is it so hard to find a good used non-vortec SBC? No one has been replying, and those that do are selling rebuildable cores.
Must be a Penn problem. Looking on Faceplace Marketbook with "local pickup" selected, I see scores of engines. Some of them are obviously engine builders who have stuff ready to go.