Timing mark unreadable.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because non-Vortec SBCs are ancient, and therefore worn-out.

The Vortec 5.7L began for the '96 model year, in late '95. That means non-Vortec 5.7L engines are now 26 or 27 model years old by now; not counting low-volume special builds, export models, and crate/service replacement engines.

Even before the Vortec truck engines in '96, the cars had already switched to the semi-non-compatible LT-series with the goofy cooling systems and front-mounted distributors.

I'm not surprised you're having trouble finding a "good, usable" pre-Vortec SBC; in fact I'm somewhat surprised that there's still a reasonable supply of "rebuildable cores" rather than totally-clapped-out junk. Thank God for feedback fuel injection, and overdrive transmissions.

In 1982, for example, a 26+ year old engine would have been made in or before 1956, it'd have a cylinder top ridge so huge that it'd break the rings when you pounded the pistons out. Be lucky to save the main castings.

Then what exactly would you suggest? I'm trying, clearly in vain, to get my only chance at a winter vehicle running and inspected before the "seasonally frozen wasteland" as you put it, moves in for the 6 or so months.

A newer, reliable vehicle is completely out of the question in my situation, so I have to do what I can.

EDIT: Oh wait, here's an idea: Let's pull the lethargic, oil spewing 4.3L out of there and rebuild that. LOL see how ridiculous that is? It's hard enough to find parts for that. I thought perhaps V8 parts would be easier to find and maybe I'd get a bit of low end torque out of the deal.

All GM needed to do was couple a 6- speed with the 5.3L and I WOULD HAVE STILL HAD MY 05 SILVERADO........

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can suggest is to network. Ask friends, ask racers, ask co-workers. Check craigslist, marketplace, and letgo. Scrounge the junkyards. Beat the bushes until a mouse runs out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it was me, I latched-onto a "rebuildable core", and...

...rebuilt it.

My particular core came to me as a Vortec short-block, pulled from the truck due to a "rod knock" which turned out to be a cracked flexplate. Seven out of eight cylinders got flex-honed, fresh rings, and the same ol' pistons. One cylinder went thirty-over due to rusting, and got a new piston, and thirty-over rings. New cam bearings, new rod bearings, same ol' main bearings. Re-used the timing set. Cleaned the lifters for re-use, slapped the Vortec cam back in. Drilled the block to make it TBI-compliant for water pump and timing cover. I used aftermarket aluminum heads and intake manifold, with a half-dozen kludges to make it all work together.

Starting with a rebuildable-core TBI engine would be easier.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To Hell with this. I'm done playing keyboard commando.

I wish I was rich and/or corrupt. It seems that's what it takes to solve problems around here (NEPA).

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not in the cheap region of Chinesium…..

Decaff,
Delphi is the equivalent of AC Delco, so you’re good to go. My only complaint is the Delphis are so quiet it’s almost impossible to hear them running……..
unfortunately my experience with delphi pumps is they are chinese

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They probably are. But so are the AC Delco’s……..
Although GM sold Delphi years ago, they are still an OEM supplier to GM. For all I know AC Delco pumps may be relabeled Delphi….or vice versa…

Maybe so. What I do know, however, is that this particular pump has a Limited Lifetime warranty. That means that I get a free one when this fails in 6 months.

Last edited: