Time for a new engine. Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
My 4.3 blew a head gasket. White smoke out of the exhaust, and milky oil. At 254,*** I'm not just going to replace the gasket, so I'm looking for either a rebuild or a "new" engine to put in it. I have until mid-August to have it done before I have a 12 hour drive to my summer job lol. Any suggestions?
What's usually cheaper? Where can I find an engine, besides a wrecking yard? Guess as to how much this should cost? I found one on Autozone but It's a PROformance, not a Vortec, I think. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/PROFormance-Engine/1998-Chevrolet-C1500-1-2ton-P-U-2WD/_/N-ja7l9Z9enw6?itemIdentifier=292553_845322_11266_ How do you guys feel about that?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your link went to the autozone home page.

The absolute cheapest way to obtain your motor is to buy another truck with the motor you want, wrecked, rusted, no title whatever. Swap motors, and whatever else you need want or desire, part out the rest to make most (if not all or more) of your money back, then scrap whats left. It consumes time and space, but you get what you need for next to nothing.