Tie-Rod Blues....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so it seems everytime i take my truck in for an alignment, they say i have a tie rod out of spec, can't put it on the machine. so i end up needing to swap at least one out. this is soo frustrating and is sucking a lot of money. i only have a 4" lift with 35's and maybe an 1" of crank. not bad angles at all. i do take the truck on some trails, but haven't since the summer. I REALLY want to do a SAS...but it's just not in the cards right now. SOoo i've decided to do heim joint inner/outer tie rods, should've done it a long time ago, but now i'm at my wits end.
1st question: where to buy the parts?
2nd: what all is needed?
3rd: Has anyone on here even done it?

there's a guy on FSC that did it on his K2500HD but i can't get a hold of him.
http://www.vortec454.com/index_files/Page984.htm

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heard of it..? Yes.

Actually seen it...? No.

There's a lot of here-say with this mod from what I've been able to tell. I do know that Heim joints don't like mud though and TRE's are just fine for, oh let's say, 99% of folks that don't wheel the piss out of their rigs every weekend.

Good luck with your search.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i'd sure like to know why i seem to eat tie rods for lunch just cruising on pavement. i always replace steering parts with Moog, so i know it's not due to poor quality parts...

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try a local 4x4 shop if you haven't already... They may have a little more insight than your usual alignment shop. I'm just spit-balling ideas to see what sticks though.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've been searching for HD tie-rods for these trucks with no luck. who makes the strongest/beefiest replacement tie-rods? i know napa's brand costs a small fortune per unit, that must mean they're good right....? :shrug:

sdavis76

Reaction score
so it seems everytime i take my truck in for an alignment, they say i have a tie rod out of spec, can't put it on the machine. so i end up needing to swap at least one out. this is soo frustrating and is sucking a lot of money. i only have a 4" lift with 35's and maybe an 1" of crank. not bad angles at all. i do take the truck on some trails, but haven't since the summer. I REALLY want to do a SAS...but it's just not in the cards right now. SOoo i've decided to do heim joint inner/outer tie rods, should've done it a long time ago, but now i'm at my wits end.
1st question: where to buy the parts?
2nd: what all is needed?
3rd: Has anyone on here even done it?

there's a guy on FSC that did it on his K2500HD but i can't get a hold of him.
http://www.vortec454.com/index_files/Page984.htm

i have the same problem everytime i got to have an alignment i wonder if they are just doin that because of the bigger than stock tires and they feel offroaders are easy targets

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guess i'll just stick with the tie rods, maybe keep a couple extra with me. i think i'm going to only buy the napa chassis ones instead of moog, as i compared the two and napa's seem beefier

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have replaced all my tie rods/ball joints with the napa chassis line of parts and they seem to be pretty good quality. Usually if you have moog parts on there now, they are a lifetime warranty even if you do not have the receipt. you just need to check with someone that sells moog.