Thump in the front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here lately i've noticed if my front end "unloads" like if i go off a bump or say, off a curb and the suspension extends it will make a thump noise. almost like something hits the fender but i know that their isn't anything there to hit it. could it be that someone maybe put too short of shocks on it and there bottoming out or something or is it more serious than that?

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your truck cranked out? Sounds like you're not getting enough down travel and your upper control arms are hitting.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
My first thought would be sway bar links or bushings if yours is equipped :shrug:

And no crank, it's a c2500

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea how to check sway bar links or bushings? How?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Easiest thing to do is check to see if the links are broken. There should be a bar the runs from side to side on the frame with links that drop down to your lower control arms. The bar will be bent in a couple different directions.

The links will be around 6" long and have a rubber or Polly bushing between the bar ends and the control arm mounts.
They look like this
You must be registered for see images attach

If they aren't broken, get a pry bar and bull on the spots where they come together to check for slack.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that my shocks are old and in need of replacing. I'm hoping to get a large job at the end of this week that should be able to pay for new shocks, bearings and balljoints because i know they're all worn out atleast some. one of my front shocks the bottom mounting spot is just broken off of the shock :banghead: the previous owner didn't bother to point that out and i didn't think to check. So hopefully i can get the money and get it all fixed. then rims and tires should be coming around income tax time!! :naughty: