weird knocking noise front end. 1998 c1500 v6 single cab long bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I hear this strange knocking noise almost as if it sways and hits the floor board here and there. It’s pretty subtle but still very annoying. Had my ball joints checked and everything. Mechanic says ball joints are good and he thinks it’s my coils shifting. I’ve never heard of this, what do you guys think?
It’ll randomly happen on bumps or turning with a slight bump. Please help, it drives me nuts

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 4

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I hear this strange knocking noise almost as if it sways and hits the floor board here and there. It’s pretty subtle but still very annoying. Had my ball joints checked and everything. Mechanic says ball joints are good and he thinks it’s my coils shifting. I’ve never heard of this, what do you guys think?
It’ll randomly happen on bumps or turning with a slight bump. Please help, it drives me nuts
find another mechanic after telling that one he's useless.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you simulate it by rocking corners or rocking the vehicle from side to side? To locate where sound originates.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is not an engine knock, perhaps a moderator will move this from the "Engine" forum to "Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits".

It's not a loose spare tire bumping around, with the noise telegraphing through the frame? Rusted exhaust system/system hanger? Sway bar mount or link? Radiator support rubber cushion or cab mount?

When were the wheel bearings last repacked? Folks are so used to permanently-sealed bearing/hub assemblies, that no one cleans 'n' repacks the old style bearings used on the 2WD trucks any more. Brake caliper bolts tight?

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will go under the truck tomorrow and shake it as much as I can and try to simulate the noise. To me personally it sounds like something is “swaying” and hitting the under neath of the cab intermittently. Because not every bump will produce the noise. It’s very strange. My spare tire isn’t the culprit, I thought that before and had the tire filled so it’s sitting nice and tight. Mechanic said ball joints look good. But yes agree on his diagnosis with the “coils shifting” sounded little like bs to me. These are all great suggestions and I will be updating

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a bunch of different things. control arm bushings popping, steering linkage, other loose components, etc. Not a situation you want to find by waiting until it falls apart. Rap and tap , pry bar, push /pull stuff, etc.. The issues aren't always readily apparent. Ie: ball joints/steering linkage components can get stuck in a worn position and won't "pop" till loaded or force is applied..

Other things, check trans/engine mounts, rear u-bolts,get in there and dig crud out of lower mount, signs of rear walking on leaf spring(rusted centering pin)

Last edited: