This question keeps coming up .. does anyone know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been looking around a good bit since landing here. Several people have asked the question and it has not been answered anywhere that I can find . LMC Truck and the other places that sell headliners all have this disclaimer about a standard cab headliner: THIS BOARD WILL NOT FIT MODELS THAT CAME ORIGINALLY WITH A VINYL COVERED HEADLINER.

Unfortunately I happen to be in that boat as are several others . We really need to know what the difference is between a standard cab headliner and a cheap ass Cheyenne headliner that was originally vinyl. What is the difference and what do you have to do to install a standard cab headliner in a Cheyenne? Is it a matter of pulling Silverado trim from a yard or is there something more basic that no one seems to know?

This is the best knowledge base I have seen on these trucks... will one of you guys please explain this, please! I have a lot of projects piled up behind the headliner and it should be done first and several others seem to have the same problem.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Different interior trim plastics, some of which hold up the headliner board for the fabric-covered headliner. Also those trucks have a couple big velcro pieces attached near the front of the ceiling that the vinyl ones may not use, dunno. Never pulled down a vinyl one. But I can definitely tell you the trim is different. The vinyl headliner trucks have very sparse trim towards the back.

Richard

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
The vinyl head liner is smaller door to door. They are held up differently. The non vinyl has indents for the sun visors and clips down the side that the vinyl does not. If i have time tonight ill take a few pics of the two side by side. I just so happen to have both right now.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes photo comparison would help a lot. I did speak to lmc customer service and got a yes they will work, but I am a sceptic on quick answers.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vinyl head liner is smaller door to door. They are held up differently. The non vinyl has indents for the sun visors and clips down the side that the vinyl does not.
Interesting. So it's definitely not a direct fit. The question becomes- what would it take to make it work? If the vinyl is smaller, can the other one be trimmed down to fit, or is it a different shape?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys and please keep it coming. Since the cabs should be the same steel under the headliner there should be a way of adapting a replacement. The investigation continues ....

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Standard cab? To use the larger fabric style H/L, you'll nee the longer 'A' pillar trim that goes right over the top of the doors, the large one across the top rear of the roof, the 2 tall 'B' pillar pieces & the large one that goes under the rear window. They all tie in to each other.
That top rear one is a bee-atch to remove without breaking those end tabs that tie to the 'B' pillar trim. Have patience when pulling that. Remove the 'B' pillar trim from the donor first before that top rear one.
Most times in the wreckers, it's darn near impossible to get all those trim pieces from one vehicle as the ham-****** yard-ape goons have no patience & no finesse when trying to get those out, so usually there are one or 2 panels that are broken.
When I swapped my '98 to the larger H/L. I used trim panels & parts from 3 different trucks, all different colors, & dyed them to the proper color before installing.
The larger H/L has 2 different passenger side 'A' pillars from the factory. One with a grab handle & one without. If you want to use the more common one with the grab handle, you will also have to get the bracket that goes behind for the handle to screw into. It's spot welded to the pillar. Have to drill it off & weld it or bolt it into your truck.
The longer 'A' pillar plastics & the big ones under & over the rear window are the same between all 400 body styles. Easy to find. The 'B' pillar trim is body style specific.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Interesting. So it's definitely not a direct fit. The question becomes- what would it take to make it work? If the vinyl is smaller, can the other one be trimmed down to fit, or is it a different shape?

One thing i noticed between the two is that the vinyl headliner had a stiffer backer made from cardboard. It is attached using the front plastic clips and the rear dome light. The fabric also wraps around all four edges of the board because there is no trim to cover it. Now the buyable one is not wrapped around the door edgesor rear do to the plastic trim covering it. The (factory) backer on it is made of a softer foam material that is not as stiff as the vinyl kind.

Now with that in mind, if you where to buy one to replace the vinyl headliner i would fit the truck. Just the edges would not look right and/or the door edges would want to "sag" down with nothing supporting them

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.. it is becoming clearer now ... I think we need research on several fronts . # 1 we need to know how to get those trim pieces out without breaking them. # 2 we need to figure out a good way to repair those pieces when broken so the supply does not run out. # 3 Somebody out there has broken ground on this fix and has some other ideas... like installing a new larger piece of Velcro or an inventive way to use clips. My next trick will be to order a set of trim tools to help ease those trim pieces out.

Edit... .bought a set of trim tools yesterday.. now I can pry out the junkyard trim and only break some of it ! Here is a picture I stole of a cloth headliner. Note the trim to the rear of the overhead/map light and the pilar trim connecting to it. To complete the picture I will get a pic tomorrow of mine which is the world's ugliest vinyl headliner with hardly any trim at all.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: