Things that you've replaced that made a world of differance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where do I begin....

When I bought my truck it had the infamous leaky injectors, so hard starting and a cloud of unburnt fuel everytime I started it.
A set of new 5O Motorsports injectors solved that, and along with those, a new cap and rotor, fresh plugs and a couple of new sensors had the truck running like a champ.

My Black Bear tuned ECM woke the truck up as well, I couldn't believe how hard the truck ran after the simple tune was installed.

Last but not least, FUEL FILTER. I was astounded at how much of a difference that little $7.00 filter made,

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For me it was the Black Bear tune in my V6 truck. I did just about every bolt on upgrade you can do and the tune made a bigger difference than all of that stuff put together. Granted some of that was probably due to the tune enabling the truck to take advantage of the other mods, but man that was $360 well spent.

Also going from a 4L60E to a 4L80E made that truck much slower off the line. :lol: Hopefully stopped my transmission from dying every couple years, though.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 98 K1500 Suburban,

(1) replaced the master cylinder with one from a 2001 truck; this upgrade is well discussed in the forums but bears mentioning here.

(2) replace the rear drum cylinders (11" drums) with the larger ones from a K3500; this upgrade is well discussed too. The Suburban responds *much* better now to brake pedal input.

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ball joints and it made so much difference

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Within the first six months of owning my truck the three things I replaced which made the most difference were the engine, instrument cluster and seat. My truck started life as a Scottsdale and had the crummy bench seat associated with the mid level trim. Now has a seat out of a Silverado and man, that is much nicer on the buns and back. Having a tach and a 350 which runs on all 8 cylinders is nice too though.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The PO had on a set of 3" wheel spacers, as a result the steering was absolutely worn to crap, the u joints were destroyed, one didn't even have any needle bearings left in it. The tires had never been rotated and were dry rotted. Removing the spacers, new steering, tires, and u joints really made it less of a tractor.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 98 K1500 Suburban,

(1) replaced the master cylinder with one from a 2001 truck; this upgrade is well discussed in the forums but bears mentioning here.

(2) replace the rear drum cylinders (11" drums) with the larger ones from a K3500; this upgrade is well discussed too. The Suburban responds *much* better now to brake pedal input.
When my rear end went out and I swapped in one from a Yukon Denali I don't know the size but I do know that it has bigger drum brakes and it made a big difference for me

David Barry

Reaction score
A mechanic switched up the engine pulleys in my '93 Sierra 350 about 15 years ago. The added power (which I have recently increased) is probably the only reason I still own the truck today. Switching out the rear end gears from 3.42 to 4.10 also deserves mention.