The Subwoofer Box Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know what sounds better? A downward firing sub or a upward firing sub?

The real difference is where the sound "appears" to be coming from. Downward firing subs make it seem as if the sound is coming from the whole floor of the cab, forward firing subs seem to be more location specific, your ears can more easily figure out where the sub is. Plus, the great thing about downfiring subs is that the subwoofer itself is well protected.

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sub bass is all about moving air ... no matter what direction the driver is directed ... The downfall to upward firing onto the back seat is the restriction of air travel ...
lift the seat up in stowed position, problem solved ... inaffecient and ineffective for most practical use ... You do not see many of these at all ... unless they are ported through the sides ...
Downward firing is better and will fix this problem, but you have minimal driver choices because of depth ... most of today's sub drivers are too large to fit these enclosures ... Port tuning can help these get stronger, but neither of these enclosure setups will benefit you in a outlaw bass competition ... both will sound good to normal music playing and get fairy loud ... but with heavy bass music / rap, you might be a little dissapointed with these ...

We all know my favorite enclosure style for these vehicles ... the Blow Through style setup ... but ...
One of my favorite enclosures for these body style trucks is the center console enclosure ... tons more room, you can downfire large drivers, forward and rear facing ... just have to trial and error to see what benifits that particular vehicle ... you can fit up to 4 8s, and possibly 2 12s ... and when mounted properly to the cab, and on adequate amp power ... the ones I've see kick total ass !!!
and most i've seen, you couldn't even tell that they were sub enclosures unitl the BASS cranked up !!!

again, just my suggestion here guys ... Best of luck ...

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know ... just throwing this out there for arguments sake ...
You could ... if you didn't care about having any passengers in the rear seat ... take the rear seat out and stash it in the storage room somewhere ...
MOST Car Audio fanatics with these vehicles pull out the rear seat ... PLENTY of room to install just about what ever you want ... 4 15s ... 2 18s ... possibilities are endless ...
Not sure this is what your looking for ... but if you go browsing the car audio forums ... this is mostly what you will find ...
Normally refeerred to as Bass heads looking for big Sound pressure level numbers ...

just saying ...

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know ... just throwing this out there for arguments sake ...
You could ... if you didn't care about having any passengers in the rear seat ... take the rear seat out and stash it in the storage room somewhere ...
MOST Car Audio fanatics with these vehicles pull out the rear seat ... PLENTY of room to install just about what ever you want ... 4 15s ... 2 18s ... possibilities are endless ...
Not sure this is what your looking for ... but if you go browsing the car audio forums ... this is mostly what you will find ...
Normally refeerred to as Bass heads looking for big Sound pressure level numbers ...

just saying ...

Thats for sure. It all depends on if you want to dedicate your truck to huge bass, or if you want a rounded out, decent sounding system without compromising convenience.

tyler92c1500

Reaction score
i need ideas on a box to go under both seats( 40-60 split bench) for some shallow mount kicker cvt's im going to order, any ideas?

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
This is the one I got for my truck. Gonna put a Punch P2 10" in it. It go under the drivers side rear seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

narizon

Reaction score
Built one for the '89 little over 2 years ago & it still sound great.Houses a single Alpine 1042D dual 4 ohm in between the seats....Clean bass & looks great.Down fire is the way to go.:wink:

My personal touch

Last edited:

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone elaborate for me...

I'd like to add a sub to my GMC, as the stereo has very poor response under ~300Hz. Nothing crazy, one 8" would probably be plenty in a standard cab.

I could probably mount it under the seat in a shallow box, but how can it go behind it? I'm 6'1, so the seat is 1 click from all the way back.

There's a toolbox, and storage compartment down there, and above them, we're talking like....3-4" between the back of the cab and the seat.

How can it fit back there? I'd leave my storage container and toolbox in there, as I want it to remain factory.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Okay that makes sense. I have upward firing and wanted to switch to downward for the protection from the seat.

I have guards for mine I can take a picture for you if you want? They cost me like five bucks each. They are chrome but I have been meaning to paint them black just never got around to it!