The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ordered them now, can't wait for my truck to ride level :rofl:
I'm thinking that later I might do a 2/4 or 4/6 drop, give her some stance. For now the 2" rear drop is easier on my budget since i'm in highschool and a part time job covers gas and a little extra
Heck yea dude! Hang on to your stock shackles and save up for a 4/6!

Blue-88

Reaction score
I’ve got an 88 long bed here. I am messing with the ride height with the goal of getting it more level and less of a high end ass. I put the mccaulugh 2”drop spindles and cut 1/2” off the stock springs up front. And put new shackles and hangers in the back. In true ADD style I didn’t measure my before and after ride height. I’m looking for a 1-2” drop in the rear. Any suggestions? I have a flip kit and wanted some ideas before going that route.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 11

Blue-88

Reaction score
1-2” on top of what is already lowered in the back. Coming out to a 5-6” total. Prediction…it’s flip kit time

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll file this under "stupid" ...

So my '93 C3500 that I recently dropped, began blowing gear oil out of the rear end. I, (and some of y'all) figured the likely suspect is a clogged breather. I had to think about it a little and ya know, I drove this truck home almost 200 miles from buying it and it didn't leak a drop. Didn't seem to leak until after I lowered it. Never noticed the leak until I drove it across town to the muffler shop, tailpipes chopped off, dual Flowmaster outlets aimed right at the passenger side axle tube, on a melting hot Houston summer day.

I've left it alone until tonight because I've got so much other stuff going on. Well tonight I figured, let me at least take a look. Rolled the bed mat over and looked through the hole in the bed for the old gooseneck plate.. and I think I figured it out.

Breather appears to not be clogged. I didn't bother removing it yet. It's soaking wet with gear oil and it has run down the hose several inches in the process. It's all over the bracket, the driver side shock, brake hard line, inside the rear bumper, and sprayed all over the tailgate.
You must be registered for see images attach

A closer look gives some insight on 100% what I believe the problem is. The breather is sitting lower than the top of the differential, and the hose itself dips down to the centerline of the axle tube.

I haven't pulled the fill plug yet to see what the gear oil level is (surely lower than it was since plenty of it sprayed out) but it's not hard for me to imagine the gear oil traveled up the hose because it really didn't have much of a choice. Am I nuts?

I really don't have a lot of room to relocate the breather higher up, but I think moving it to where the hose can't dip down that low, and positioning the breather as high as I can get it, will solve the problem. Truck's got a lot of drop vs. stock height.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So my '93 C3500 that I recently dropped, began blowing gear oil out of the rear end. I, (and some of y'all) figured the likely suspect is a clogged breather. I had to think about it a little and ya know, I drove this truck home almost 200 miles from buying it and it didn't leak a drop. Didn't seem to leak until after I lowered it. Never noticed the leak until I drove it across town to the muffler shop, tailpipes chopped off, dual Flowmaster outlets aimed right at the passenger side axle tube, on a melting hot Houston summer day.

I've left it alone until tonight because I've got so much other stuff going on. Well tonight I figured, let me at least take a look. Rolled the bed mat over and looked through the hole in the bed for the old gooseneck plate.. and I think I figured it out.

Breather appears to not be clogged. I didn't bother removing it yet. It's soaking wet with gear oil and it has run down the hose several inches in the process. It's all over the bracket, the driver side shock, brake hard line, inside the rear bumper, and sprayed all over the tailgate.

A closer look gives some insight on 100% what I believe the problem is. The breather is sitting lower than the top of the differential, and the hose itself dips down to the centerline of the axle tube.

I haven't pulled the fill plug yet to see what the gear oil level is (surely lower than it was since plenty of it sprayed out) but it's not hard for me to imagine the gear oil traveled up the hose because it really didn't have much of a choice. Am I nuts?

I really don't have a lot of room to relocate the breather higher up, but I think moving it to where the hose can't dip down that low, and positioning the breather as high as I can get it, will solve the problem. Truck's got a lot of drop vs. stock height.

Richard
I was worried about this issue when I did mine. I don’t have it mounted yet, and the bracket that it fastens to has been removed from my truck due to the larger C notch. My plan was to mount it to a section of bed cross member, but I had to cut all that out, too.

My solution is to take that bracket for the brake line/breather, flip it so it points up, and get the breather line above the housing. This will be mounted closer to the gas tank.

In your case, is it possible to mount it somewhere on the underside of the bed?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was worried about this issue when I did mine. I don’t have it mounted yet, and the bracket that it fastens to has been removed from my truck due to the larger C notch. My plan was to mount it to a section of bed cross member, but I had to cut all that out, too.

My solution is to take that bracket for the brake line/breather, flip it so it points up, and get the breather line above the housing. This will be mounted closer to the gas tank.

In your case, is it possible to mount it somewhere on the underside of the bed?
Yep, that's where it'll have to go, to get it high enough.

I've got.. oh.. 1.5" of travel before the bump stop pad on the axle hits the notch. It's at an angle, too. Tempted to go ahead and grind the pads off. But with that in mind I'm wondering just how many people run duallies static dropped like this with bolt-in notches and without helper bags. This is my first dually to drop and I'm amazed at how close the axle is riding to the notch. I removed those ridiculously tall bump stops that Belltech sent.. was going to put some of the really short poly stops in there but honestly at the moment there still isn't enough room for them.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's where it'll have to go, to get it high enough.

I've got.. oh.. 1.5" of travel before the bump stop pad on the axle hits the notch. It's at an angle, too. Tempted to go ahead and grind the pads off. But with that in mind I'm wondering just how many people run duallies static dropped like this with bolt-in notches and without helper bags. This is my first dually to drop and I'm amazed at how close the axle is riding to the notch. I removed those ridiculously tall bump stops that Belltech sent.. was going to put some of the really short poly stops in there but honestly at the moment there still isn't enough room for them.

Richard
Time to but in the big girl notch.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Something else I'm considering after having been up all day and night and just read through some various 14 bolt threads.. with the pinion shims in there after lowering the truck, the differential is aimed down at the pinion yoke. Doesn't this mean the effective fill level is lowered, making the diff slightly over-full from when it was "straight up" at stock height? Looking at the angle of the bump stop pads really got me thinking on the differences between stock height and lowered.

I'm sure I need to raise the vent. However, instead of just jacking up the rear to give myself room to work, I'll be supporting the truck at all 4 corners, level, so I can be sure I've got the diff filled correctly.

Richard

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
Funny, mine is doing the exact same thing. I don't think mine is lowered as much as yours as I have more gap between my diff and notch,,I have a 5/7 drop. I have to change my starter today so while it is on the lift I'm going to check out if I can raise my breather up. I might try shortening the hose so it's more "straight up" and any oil that does get in the hose can't pool in a low spot and be forced out